Illustration by Mary Berger | Art Director

Tips for In-Person Class

May 27, 2021

Four tips for in-person class

By Taylor Burnette | Projects Editor

S tepping into your first college class for the first time was nerve-wracking before the pandemic, but after over a year of online classes it seems almost impossible.

However, with Ohio University starting back with more in-person classes in the fall, dreams are finally becoming a reality. Here are four tips to help you thrive in your first in-person classes:

Take handwritten notes

Although many of us are used to using our laptops to take notes because of online classes during the pandemic, or possibly are used to not taking them at all, hand written notes can help a lot with memory and comprehension of lectures.

Why handwritten instead of typed? According to Scientific American, students who take handwritten notes retain more than their peers who take more notes on their laptops, even if they write less. By writing, you can focus on the material that you need to know the most.

If you don’t want to write basic notes with just a pencil or pen, you can try colored pens or markers to add a creative flair to your studying. Also, don’t forget about highlighters when you go back to your notes to study.

Find a studying method that works for you

Every student has their own way of remembering course materials. So, play around with different methods to find what is right for you. Some students like studying with friends and talking about class materials, making notecards for different terms, routine study schedules or even just studying their notes.

Try what is best for you and your learning style. If you are an auditory learner and learn best by listening, try getting together with some of your classmates and discussing your class materials or read your notes out loud to yourself. For visual learners, flash cards with terms or topics and explanations on the back may be helpful, or maybe even drawing pictures and graphs to help reinforce materials. If you learn best by reading, dive into those notes and repeat, repeat, repeat!

Also, don’t forget to get together with some of your friends and study together! Whether you are studying the same material or material for different classes, motivating each other and holding each other accountable can boost your scores!

Talk to people in your classes

With COVID-19 precautions in place, it has been tough for everybody to get to know their classmates, but don’t be afraid to chat with the people sitting next to you in your first lecture hall. Whether you are making a GroupMe to help each other with studying or telling someone you like their shoes, don’t be afraid to reach out and meet new people.

Making group chats to help with studying could be especially valuable when you are taking some of your first in-person tests, and are especially valuable when working on group projects. However, remember that even a little bit of friendly chatter in-person with your classmates could help you meet your new best friend.

Study for in-person exams differently than online exams

Many professors have allowed the use of books or notes during online exams, but typical in-person exams don’t allow the same sort of flexibility. Occasionally you may be able to reference your notes, but more often than not, your tests will be all based on your brain power!

To prepare, make sure you attend lectures and find a note-taking method that works for you. Don’t wait until the last second to study, because you won’t have as many things to help you out during the actual exam.

Sadly, you can’t “turn off” your camera in real life.

AUTHOR: Taylor Burnette
EDITOR: Mady Lewellyn
COPY EDITOR: Anna Garnai
ILLUSTRATION: Mary Berger
WEB DEVELOPMENT: Brianna Lender