Headshot of Dr. M. Duane Nellis, President of Ohio University

President's Welcome

May 27, 2021

Welcome statement from Student Senate President

By Duane Nellis | Ohio University President

W elcome to Ohio University! Bobcat Student Orientation is a wonderful introduction to everything that OHIO has to offer as you prepare to take the next step in your academic journey. We are thrilled to have you here!

As you schedule your classes and make new friends during Orientation, I hope you will also take the time to learn more about the many resources and programs available to you. Our faculty and staff are here to help, and we offer both in-person and online resources to assist you. We are here to answer your questions and make sure you feel comfortable at your new “home away from home.”

As a Bobcat, you have countless opportunities ahead of you. From service learning right here within our own community, to exciting undergraduate research, off-campus learning experiences, and other creative and professional work experiences, OHIO affords you the opportunity to thrive and grow as you learn from world-class faculty and collaborate with students from around the globe.

Our community truly is a learning laboratory, with opportunities to engage and help develop solutions for global issues that also affect our local region. I encourage you to get involved with campus organizations that speak to your interests. These student groups provide additional learning and service opportunities and are a great way to make new friends. I am very proud to tell you that Ohio University has received the national Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) award for three years in a row now due to our demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion. All students are welcome at Ohio University, and all contribute to our campus environment.

You are joining us during a truly historic time. The COVID-19 global pandemic has changed all of our lives, and I know that the last year may have been challenging for you. As you now adapt to college life, you will find that our faculty and staff are dedicated to helping you learn, grow as a person, and love your college experience.

My wife, Ruthie, and I moved to Athens and Ohio University four years ago, and we have cherished our time in this special community. I recently announced that I will be transitioning out of the role of President so that I can return to my first love of teaching. We will remain in our home here at Ohio University, and I look forward to seeing you on campus or perhaps in my classes in the coming years. I want you to know that I am making this change confident in the knowledge that our leadership team and the next president will continue to move Ohio University forward in our mission of serving our students.

Welcome to your new home and to a world of endless possibilities, here at Ohio University.

Go Bobcats!

Editor’s Note: Ohio University’s 21st President, Dr. M. Duane Nellis, recently announced a presidential transition effective June 30, 2021. At the time this publication went to print, the University had not named an interim President. More information will be shared online at www.ohio.edu/president in the coming days.

AUTHOR: Duane Nellis
EDITOR: Mikayla Rochelle
COPY EDITOR: Anna Garnai
WEB DEVELOPMENT: Anastasia Carter