Published October 17, 2023

Willkommen in Athens

Exploring the journey of German students at OU

In 1991, OU was invited on a tour of five colleges in Eastern Germany to assess the future of each one.

“The provost at the time went and visited these five universities and came away with the feeling that Leipzig had the most potential and some of the best opportunities,” said Bob Stewart, the former director of the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism.

In December of 1992, Stewart traveled to Leipzig to develop a relationship with the Communications Institute at the university and ended up returning to teach there for a semester.

The relationship Stewart helped solidify between the two universities has manifested itself in the exchange of a few hundred students between the two schools over the past few decades, a bond that still exists today. Although the dual-degree program that used to exist between Leipzig University and OU is currently on hiatus due to budget cuts, there is still an active exchange program going on between the two. That exchange program is what brought Felix Kainzbauer to Athens.

“It’s like the quintessential…college experience, and I’ve enjoyed that a lot.” —Felix Kainzbauer

Kainzbauer is currently living in Athens for a semester abroad during his time in graduate school, working toward his Master’s degree in Communication and Media Sciences from Leipzig University and taking mostly journalism courses at OU. He will be here for the duration of the fall semester and is excited to receive the American college experience through the small-town perspective.

“There isn’t much else here except the college, so it’s really the experience of this old university distilled down to this town, and it’s what I love about it,” he said. “It’s like the quintessential…college experience, and I’ve enjoyed that a lot.”

Kainzbauer grew up consuming a lot of American media and was intrigued to learn about the accuracy of those depictions.

“I was a bit surprised (by) how many of the stereotypes I had about college culture were not actually proven wrong,” he said.

This includes the party scene and the amount of school spirit Bobcats have, as opposed to German students who tend to lack that level of connection with their college.

Although the Leipzig exchange program is an integral part of the German student population at OU, it is not the only reason those students travel to Athens. Three students from the University of Bayreuth, Charlie Delfs, Tabea Oberglock and Lea Scholze, are all studying sports management through a dual-degree program. While Delfs and Scholze are just starting their time in Athens, Oberglock has been here for approximately two years and will be graduating in December.

“University life is very different here,” she said. “There is a lot of homework and you’re kept very much on track…whereas in Germany you either do it or you don’t. You don’t have homework, you just have one big final at the end, and either you’re going to pass or you don’t.”

As a sports management major, Oberglock was excited about the sporting events in America, a sentiment that she shares with Delfs, who has enjoyed learning about the football and tailgating culture in the U.S.

Both Delfs and Scholze expressed the difficulty of familiarizing oneself with the constant air conditioning in America, and Scholze agrees with Oberglock about the jarring difference between the grading systems of the two countries. Despite that adjustment, Scholze has enjoyed many parts of her experience, including the different worldviews about business, which was her initial collegiate pursuit. Scholze also offers advice to anyone planning on participating in any kind of study in a foreign country.

“Make friends, because you’ll need a support system, and you will find people that are really excited for you to be there” —Charlie Delfs

“I was shocked at first but you have to open your heart…and walk around with open eyes and see the little details that are different, because at the end of the day, that’s what makes you grow with your experience,” Scholze said.

Other bits of advice from German students include wisdom from Kainzbauer about preparing oneself for the inevitable culture shock and immersing oneself in the language of the host country.

“Make friends, because you’ll need a support system, and you will find people that are really excited for you to be there,” Delfs said.

Oberglock is realistic about the initial loneliness many exchange students experience but insists the pros of an experience abroad outweigh the cons.

“You’re going to be alone at first, but it gives you this amazing opportunity of getting to know yourself better and you grow so much because you learn so much about yourself and the world and…no one can ever take that away from you,” she said.

Kirsten Dabelko, the assistant director of global security, health and safety in the Office of Global Opportunities, believes that international students enjoy the opportunities to explore multiple disciplines through their coursework, as well as the resources that are provided as the master’s students prepare to write their theses when they return home.

Both Dabelko and Stewart agree that the Midwestern college experience is an overwhelmingly positive one for European students who don’t envision much beyond New York City or Los Angeles when asked to imagine life in America.

Dabelko is an advocate for the fact the program is focused on not only a cultural exchange but also an opportunity to make friends.

“This was a project of exchange, but it was also a project of friendship,” Dabelko said.

This sentiment is proven true by the fact that decades later, Stewart returned to Germany this past summer for the birthday party of a colleague he met while participating in the faculty exchange.

“It (is) a very important part of the program … people getting to know each other (and) becoming friends for life,” said Stewart.

EDITOR: Alyssa Cruz
COPY EDITOR: Addie Hedges
PHOTOGRAPHY: Alyssa Goodenow
WEB DEVELOPMENT: Tavier Leslie

Published October 17, 2023

Willkommen in Athens

Die deutschen Studierenden der Ohio Universität

In 1991 ist die Ohio Universität auf eine Tour von fünf Universitäten in Ostdeutschland eingeladen worden, um die Zukunft dieser Institutionen zu beurteilen. ,,Der Hochschulleiter damals hat diese fünf Universitäten besucht und verlässt Deutschland mit dem Gefühl, dass Leipzig das größte Potenzial und die besten Gelegenheiten besaß," sagt Bob Stewart, der ehemalige Geschäftsführer von E.W. Scripps Schule für Journalismus. Im Dezember 1992 ist Stewart nach Leipzig gereist und hat eine Beziehung mit dem Kommunikationswissenschaft-Institut hergestellt. Er ist später zurück gereist und hat dort ein Semester unterrichtet.

Die Beziehung zwischen die zwei Universitäten, die Stewart begann, erlaubten ein paar Hundert Studenten in den letzten Jahrzehnten einen Austausch zu genießen. Obwohl das zweifache Abschlussprogramm zwischen Leipzig Universität und Ohio Universität jetzt in einer Pause wegen Budgetkürzungen ist, gibt es noch ein aktives Austauschprogramm zwischen die beiden. Das Austauschprogramm hat Felix Kainzbauer nach Athens gebracht.

Kainzbauer lebt seit einem Semester in Athens. Er studiert Kommunikationswissenschaft an der Leipzig Universität wo er einen Masters abschließt. Er studiert Journalismus an der Ohio Universität. Er wird das ganze Herbstsemester in Athens leben und er ist begeistert, die amerikanische Universitat Erfahrung von einer Kleinstadt Perspektive zu sehen.

,,Es gibt nicht viel mehr hier als die Universität, deshalb ist die Erfahrung von dieser alt Universität destilliert bis zu dieser Stadt, und das ist was ich mag. Es ist eine wesentliche…Universität Erfahrung, und es gefällt mir sehr,” sagt er.

Kainzbauer ist mit vielen amerikanischen Medien aufgewachsen und er interessiert sich für die Genauigkeit dieser Beschreibungen Amerikas zu lernen. ,,Ich war ein bisschen überrascht, wie viele von den Stereotypen, die ich gehört habe, nicht falsch sind," sagt er. Das Partyleben und die Begeisterung für die Universität, oder “school spirit,” sind ein paar von den Stereotypen.

Obwohl das Leipzig Austauschprogramm eine sehr wichtige Rolle spielt für die Deutschen die an der Ohio Universität studieren, ist es nicht die einzige Grund das diese Studenten nach Athens reisen. Drei Studentinnen von der Bayreuth Universität, Charlie Delfs, Tabea Oberglock und Lea Scholze, studieren alle Sportmanagement durch ein zweifaches Abschlussprogramm. Delfs und Scholze sind nur am Anfang ihrer Zeit in Athens, und Oberglock ist in ihrem zweiten Jahr und wird im Dezember graduieren.

,,Das Universität Leben ist sehr anders hier. Es gibt viele Hausaufgaben und du bist auf den richtigen Weg…in Deutschland studiert man oder nicht. Es gibt keine Hausaufgaben, es gibt nur eine große Prüfung, und du bestehst oder nicht,” sagt sie. Mit Sportmanagement als Hauptfach freut sich Oberglock sehr über die Sportveranstaltungen, ein Gefühl dass Delfs zustimmt. Delfs hat der amerikanische Football und "Tailgating" in den USA genossen.

Delfs und Scholze erfahren die Schwierigkeiten der ständigen Klimaanlagen in Amerika. Scholze stimmt mit Oberglock zu über den Unterschied zwischen das Notensystem von den zwei Ländern. Trotz der Adaptierung hat Scholze viele Teile ihrer Erfahrung genossen, einschließlich die anderen Weltbildern über die Wirtschaft. Scholze beratet Studenten die im Ausland studieren möchten.

,,Ich war zuerst überrascht, aber du musst dein Herz öffnen…und mit offenen Augen gehen und die kleinen Details sehen die anders sind. Das ist wann persönliches Wachstum stattfindet," sagt sie.

Andere Ratschläge von Deutsche Studenten enthalten die Weisheit von Kainzbauer über Vorbereitungen für die zwangsläufigen Kulturschock und tauchen in die Sprache des Gastgeberland. Delfs sagt, ,,Finde Freunde, weil du ein Betreuungssystem brauchen wirst. Du wirst Leute finden die denken, dass es sehr schön ist, dass du da bist.” Rat von Oberglock ist: ,,Du wirst ein bisschen allein sein, aber du bekommst eine schöne Gelegenheit über dich selbst besser zu lernen und du wachst sehr viel, weil du sehr viel über die Welt lernst und…niemand kann das von dir wegnehmen."

Kirsten Dabelko, die Regieassistent von Global Sicherung, Gesundheit und Sicherheit für das Büro von Global Gelegenheiten, glaubt, dass internationale Studenten viele Fächer in ihren Kursen untersuchen und die Hilfsmittel für Doktorarbeit Forschung genießen. Beide Dabelko und Stewart stimmen, dass die mittlere Westen Universität Erfahrung ist für europäische Studenten überwältigend positiv, die nicht viel anders als New York City und Los Angeles kennen.

Zusätzlich, als sie die Anfang der Leipzig Universität Austauschprogramm beschreibt, sagt Dabelko, ,,Es war ein Projekt von Austausch, aber auch ein Projekt von Freundschaft.” Dieses Gefühl ist von Stewart bestätigt. Jahrzehnte später ist Stewart nach Deutschland zurückgekehrt. Er ging zu einer Geburtstagsfeier für einen Kollegen den er beim Austausch getroffen hat. “Es ist ein sehr wichtiges Teil vom Programm…Leute kennenzulernen und lebenslange Freunde zu treffen,” sagt Stewart.

EDITOR: Alysssa Cruz
COPY EDITOR: Addie Hedges
WEB DEVELOPMENT: Tavier Leslie and Anastasia Carter