Ohio guard Jaylin Hunter ahoots for three against Miami at the Convo on Feb. 4, 2023.

Ohio guard Jaylin Hunter ahoots for three against Miami at the Convo on Feb. 4, 2023. | Jesse Jarrold-Grapes

February 20, 2023

Life-long love

Men's Basketball: Jaylin Hunter is on his own path

By Ashley Beach | Asst. Sports Editor

From a young age, Jaylin Hunter knew he would play basketball. His dad is a basketball coach, and it was almost like Hunter had been born into the sport.

“I played football for a little bit, but I knew that wasn’t going to be it. I didn’t want to be outside all the time,” Hunter said.

Although Hunter’s dad taught him the ropes, the Manchester, Connecticut native fell in love with the game all on his own. Basketball was the only sport he played past the eighth grade. When a football coach told Hunter something wouldn’t fly in high school, he didn’t worry because he knew he wouldn’t return to the gridiron.

Hunter wanted to blaze his own path. He knew basketball was his key, but he didn’t know how yet.

In high school, Hunter played the Adidas Amateur Athletic Union circuit. He enjoyed traveling across the country and earning medals along the way. The summer his team got fourth in the championships is one of his favorite memories.

At that point in his career, Hunter dove into basketball head-first. He became a student of the game. Hunter watched practice and game footage with his father to grow as a player.

Hunter showcased his talent during high school, but his recruiting process was slow. He didn’t get offers to play at the collegiate level until his career was almost over.

“I didn’t get my first offer until the second semester of my senior year, and that was from Old Dominion, the school that I originally committed to,” Hunter said. “I only got four real offers but I got a lot of interest.”

Hunter arrived at Old Dominion during his freshman year and made an immediate impact as a bench player. He played more minutes his sophomore year and made three starts, but he wasn’t quite where he wanted to be.

Ohio guard Jaylin Hunter (12) gets a rebound during the second half of the victory over Central Michigan on Saturday, Jan. 21, 2022 at the Convo.

Jesse Jarrold-Grapes | Photo Editor

In Hunter’s junior year, he was a team captain, started all 32 games and led the team in free throw percentage. Hunter scored in double figures 16 times and ranked in the top 10 for several categories in Conference-USA, including assists, steals, assist-to-turnover ratio and minutes played.

But Hunter wanted a more holistic experience. He wanted the connections that come with basketball. That’s what brought him to Ohio.

“It was just a better opportunity (and) a more close-knit team,” Hunter said. “One thing I love about here is I just feel like we’re a circle, one big group instead of a hierarchy. I think that’s just a testament to coach Boals and the culture he created here.”

Hunter is a team-first guy. He doesn’t get upset when someone’s shots aren’t falling and loves seeing his teammates succeed. Most of the time, Hunter is the Bobcats’ assists leader.

“I know that’s kind of cliche to say, but I feel like as a point guard, I do love seeing my teammates be successful.”

Hunter has found his way to a successful career. He’s taken the Mid-American Conference by storm and still has more time. Basketball is Hunter’s past and present, and he hopes it will be his future.

He’s an NBA junkie and plans to pursue a career in management or coaching in the professional ranks. He doesn’t exactly want to follow in his father’s footsteps, though.

“I think I want to deviate a little bit. I think I can use his experiences to create my own path and see what I can do with it,” Hunter said.

Hunter has forged his own path since he picked up a basketball and now intends to stay on it.

AUTHOR: Ashley Beach
EDITOR: Will Cunningham
COPY EDITOR: Aya Cathey
PHOTOGRAPHER: Jesse Jarrold-Grapes
WEB DEVELOPMENT: Anastasia Carter