Matt Ryan

THE CONVO
COMPILATION

November was a simpler time for Ohio basketball.

For the men, a new season offered new hope. Antonio Campbell was the reigning Mid-American Conference Player of the Year, the Bobcats had four returning starters and two incoming freshman who could compete for significant minutes.

For the women, this season began the “Post-Kiyanna Black Era,” as the second-highest scorer in program history recently graduated. But even without Black, the returning roster offered more experience — and wins — than any other in school history.

November brought excitement. For the first time, there was potential for both the men’s and women’s teams to win the MAC in the same season and advance to the NCAA Tournament — just as Buffalo accomplished in 2015-16.

But then things happened.

Campbell got hurt, and the Bobcats struggled to regain their momentum, though they haven’t lost any ground in the MAC standings. Likewise, the women’s team became consistently inconsistent either offensively or defensively.

That makes the end of the season all the more exciting. The men are attempting to dethrone Akron and return to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2012, when they advanced to the Sweet 16. The women, who failed to win the conference regular season title for what would have been a third-consecutive season, approach the MAC Tournament in an unfamiliar place — as an underdog.

This year, the men and women alike have provided a plethora of storylines, good and bad. It’s been interesting. Now with one more regular season game apiece and the MAC Tournament in Cleveland next week, the one-and-done consequences can only make things more exciting.

For the special edition basketball tabloid, the men’s and women’s basketball beat writers have written engaging stories about Campbell’s present and future, Quiera Lampkins and her legacy, the Saul Phillips and Bob Boldon relationship and much more. Oh, and there’s even a story about Tarell Basham, who is months away from being selected in the NFL draft. Seriously.

The tabloid was enjoyable to produce. Hopefully, it’s enjoyable to read and look through, too. Either way, the season is far from over, and we still have plenty of work to do.

-- Charlie Hatch / Sports Editor

Jasmine Weatherspoon, Ohio's feel-good player

Cameron Fields / For The Post

Drew Crabtree, Ohio's 'glue guy'

Andrew Gillis/ Asst. Sports Editor

Jason Carter maturing as fast as Ohio needs

Charlie Hatch / Sports Editor

The drive behind #5

Jimmy Watkins / For The Post

Column: Jaaron Simmons is the MAC MVP

Charlie Hatch / Sports Editor

The journey of Antonio Campbell

Luke O'Roark / For The Post

Women's Basketball: Ohio's recent struggles provide different perspective for upcoming tournament

Wynston Wilcox / For The Post

Men's Basketball: Conference cluster in the MAC

Andrew Gillis / Asst. Sports Editor

Basketball: A tale of two teams

Luke O'Roark / For The Post

A look back into one of the most important shots in Ohio history

Andrew Gillis / Asst. Sports Editor

Women's Basketball: Ohio needs win against Akron to keep first-round bye chances alive history

Cameron Fields / For The Post

Men's Basketball: If Ohio wins, No. 2 seed in the tourney is secure

Luke O'Roark / For The Post

Development by: Hannah Debenham / Digital Production Editor