Bobcats Head coach Geoff Carlston talks to the team during a timeout at the game against the Toledo Rockets held at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio on Sept. 25, 2021. Photo by Akash Pamarthy

Volleyball season preview

Published August 24, 2023

Volleyball: Ohio looks to take advantage of experienced roster in 2023

By Marc Goldstein | For The Post

The 2023 season is one of renewal and rebirth for Ohio Volleyball. Head coach Geoff Carlston, now entering his eighth year in Athens, will be looking to break the glass ceiling that has previously separated Ohio from its Mid-American Conference foes.

The disparity between the conference elites and Ohio has never been quite as large as in recent years. Ohio has been able to cement itself as a solid team, but nothing will matter until the giants in the conference, like Ball State and Bowling Green, are unseated and Ohio gets its chance at the throne.

To that point, Ohio has one of its best teams in recent years. The roster is flush with experience and talent alike to form a nucleus of players who are hungry to win. Ohio lost a total of six players to graduations and transfers, including Olivia Margolies, who started all 32 matches last season. Another key departure is Kristy Frank, who was fourth on the team with 208 kills last season.

That being said, Carlston and his staff will have a roster that retained a lot more talent than it lost. Parker Kwiatkowski, the most experienced member of the squad, is a graduate student who decided to return to Athens. Tria McLean is a senior this season and along with Kwiatkowski, the two will occupy the setting duties for the team.

The hitters will be another position that possesses a lot of experience as Caroline Clippard, a junior, projects to occupy the outside hitter spot for the vast majority of matches this season. Clippard will likely take over the vacancy left by Margolies. However, that should not be a huge issue for Clippard as she only had seven fewer kills than Margolies despite starting 20 fewer matches.

Opposite Clippard will be Anna Kharchynska. The Ukrainian sophomore had a large role as a freshman, but will likely be a marquee player for the Bobcats this season. Kharchynska has the potential to be the next great player to pass through during Carlston’s coaching tenure.

The defense will be anchored by defensive specialists Sam Steele and Maci Watrous. Both are seniors who played in all 32 matches last season. Steele led Ohio in digs last season with 523, while Watrous was third on the team with 315. The defense will be the key for Carlston to get the most out of a very good offense this season; Steele and Watrous, as well as freshmen Kendall Hickey, Caroline Curran and Leah Shumate, will be given that assignment.

The middle blockers are one of the strengths for Ohio. The team will return four players to the position. Both Elizabeth Hoerlein and Caitlin O'Farell are returning as the starters with Carly Doros and Leah Rogers both returning as well.

This roster, experienced and balanced, has the capability to be one of the best in Carlston’s tenure. With the season afoot, Ohio has championship hopes and will look to use its experience to see itself at the top of the mountain.

AUTHOR: MARC GOLDSTEIN
EDITOR: BOBBY KEEGAN
COPY EDITOR: ADDIE HEDGES
PHOTOGRAPHY: AKASH PAMARTHY
WEB DEVELOPMENT: SOPHIE YOUNG