Photo by Tre Spencer

College Bucketlist

Published August 24, 2023

Tips with Tate: Things to do before you graduate

By Tate Raub | Opinion Editor

As cliche as it is, it’s true that the time really does fly by in college. You hear it so many times before your freshman year starts that eventually you start rolling your eyes at the phrase. With the start of my senior year fast approaching, I’m here to tell you all of the essential things you should do before graduation.

Athens has a great music scene, and whether you feel like it’s your thing or not, give it a shot. The Union, located at 18 W. Union St., is a great place to start. There’s usually a cover fee between $8 to $10, but it’s 18+ so you can go have fun even if you aren’t 21. If the bar vibe isn’t for you though, the same group of local artists typically do house shows. More often than not, they’re outdoors and therefore seasonal, but it’s something to look forward to during the warmer months. Fest season also brings about a slew of bands and DJs to go see, which brings me to my next point.

If the party scene truly sounds egregious, feel free to skip this section. However, I think it’s worth it to check out a party on one of the infamous Ohio University fest season streets at least once. A vast majority of the time I say I go to OU to someone, the immediate response includes something about its party school reputation. There’s absolutely more to this school than that, but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with having a little bit of fun here and there. Why not see what the hype is all about? If you do decide to trek over to Mill Street, High Street or any of the other streets in between, make sure to bring friends you trust, stay safe and don’t feel pressured into doing anything you’re not comfortable with.

Sure, we have Chipotle, McDonald’s, Applebee’s and numerous other chain restaurants scattered throughout Athens, but there are plenty of other local places in the area that are worth giving a try. Bagel Street Deli, 27 S. Court St., is an Athens classic with an extensive menu sure to have something for everyone. Ginger Asian Kitchen, 28 S. Court St., is excellent if you’re hungry for sushi or a build-your-own bowl. Venture less than 15 minutes outside of Athens to Eclipse Country Store in The Plains for some great appetizers and a great variety of 21+ beverages. These are just a few of my personal favorites but know you’re bound to find lots of good food just by walking down Court Street or driving 10 miles (or less) outside of Athens.

In my personal experience, taking some time to explore has been incredibly valuable. I can’t say enough good things about meandering around Athens as a means of self-care or just chit-chatting with a friend. I have spent many hours and many miles walking along all the random streets throughout Athens either talking about random stuff with my best friends or listening to some podcasts by myself. Before you know it, you’ve walked a few miles, seen a new part of town and probably come across a stray cat and/or a few deer. It simultaneously makes you feel more connected with the place you’re going to spend four years in and gives you the opportunity to connect with your friends. What’s not to like?

College is the perfect time to get to know yourself. With that, you can find how much you value your own happiness and how much you are actually willing to fight for it. If you have people-pleasing tendencies, it can be hard to break the habit of letting what other people want from you overshadow what you need to do for yourself. Setting those boundaries can truly make you feel so much lighter, and your happiness can start to bloom. If you take nothing else away from this, take the time to do what you need to do to improve your own well-being and you will find yourself having so much more fun than you ever thought possible.

Tate Raub is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk more about it? Let Tate know by tweeting her @tateraub.

AUTHOR: TATE RAUB
EDITOR: MEG DIEHL
COPY EDITOR: ADDIE HEDGES
PHOTOGRAPHY: TRE SPENCER
WEB DEVELOPMENT: SOPHIA YOUNG