First Day of School

Published August 24, 2023

Lately with Layne: Reminders for the upcoming school year

By Layne Rey | For The Post

Just as there’s a second Christmas in July, I like to believe there’s also a second New Year’s Day in August. This time around, it’s on Aug. 28. The beginning of the school year marks a fresh start and leaves plenty of room for achieving goals, creating healthy habits and doing well for yourself. However, summer break allows us to forget all things related to a successful school year. Here are some reminders that maybe you already learned the hard way or maybe you can set one as your “resolutions” for the year.

Create ample time for relaxation and rest.

The beginning of the school year is mentally and physically draining. The transition into or back into a college lifestyle throws many for a whirl after summer, and rest is the closest thing to a cure. The cause of exhaustion is a mystery considering that in high school we were all able to work nonstop for eight hours, but it’s real. If you want or need to take a nap between classes, do it, and don’t feel guilty about it. Even simply relaxing and finally starting that show you haven’t had the time to start or reading the books that are on your desk for more than just decoration does wonders for most.

Routinely do what matters to you.

Class schedules are significantly different from high school and they even change a good amount from year to year. This doesn’t have to negatively affect doing what is important to you though. Whether you’re a person who has one thing or a person who has 20 things to do before leaving in the morning, it is important to recognize that those tasks matter to you.

Waking up a little earlier to journal, meditate or drink water can change the trajectory of your day. I also learned to have two routines for the morning and night – one for when you have a lot of energy and time and one for when you’re tired and running late. This helps with consistency while not forcing perfection. Even if it’s something you would like to just get done at some point in the day like reading or working out, routinely make time to do it if it makes you feel good

Go outside.

In the most not-sponsored way ever, Ohio University is beautiful. Find a spot you love outside to read, get homework done or hang out with friends. Returning students even tend to forget how beneficial the outside spaces can be for doing anything and everything. The steps outside Tanaka and Luchs Hall are the perfect spot for tanning when the UV index is high, and close by is the hammock park, which is perfect even for a chillier day.

Adapt to your classes.

The adaptations that you have to make to your study and work habits change every year – and that’s OK. The way that you studied last year and how long it took you to do assignments for a certain class are going to change, and there’s no reason to force old habits into a new environment. I struggle with accepting that I will figure it out as I go, but within a week or two you will have a solid grasp on each class and how to succeed in it. It could be something as simple as needing to find a quieter space to do a certain class’s work. The classes and assignments aren’t going to change for you, but you can change for them. Such flexibility will be necessary for all future classes and careers.

I hope this can serve as a little help for what may be an intimidating year. Good luck, Bobcats!

Layne Rey is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Let Layne know by tweeting her @laynerey12.

AUTHOR: LAYNE REY
EDITOR: MEG DIEHL
COPY EDITOR: ADDIE HEDGES
WEB DEVELOPMENT: TAVIER LESLIE