Illustration by Emma McAdams

Freshman year bucket list

Published August 24, 2023

10 items to add to your freshman year bucket list

By Sophia Rooksberry | For The Post

Incoming university freshmen are already faced with an overwhelming amount of anxiety, between beginning college classes and most likely moving out of the house for the first time. Hopefully, this bucket list of things to complete before the end of the year will ensure that you don’t miss out on any part of your first year, and will inspire your list of fun activities that will make your first year slightly less stressful.

Experience the excitement of fests

Even if you are not particularly drawn to the party scene, it is still an entertaining excursion to go out into Athens and look at all the fun that occurs during Fest weekends. The spring fest season features an event nearly every weekend, each located on a different street and emitting a different energy. Halloween weekend is especially enjoyable, as everyone is dressed in an elaborate costume they love to share and talk about.

Explore the ridges

The historic Ridges are a staple of Athens culture. Approximately 30 minutes away from campus, a student can tour the Kennedy Museum of Art, the backbone of which is Ohio University faculty and students, at The Ridges. Another option is to walk on any of the hiking trails in the Ridges area and explore the cobblestone area behind the art museum.

See a movie at the Athena Cinema

One of the greatest historical establishments in Athens is located on Court Street, not even a two-minute walk from College Green: The Athena Cinema, which has long since celebrated its 100th anniversary. It is essential to see a movie at the Athena once it reopens from current renovations, which is made easy by the great prices, friendly staff and steady flow of special events.

Drive to Stroud's Run or Hocking Hills

The area surrounding Athens is incredibly beautiful, including the nearby Stroud’s Run and the slightly further Hocking Hills. If you can get a ride to either of these spots, it's an incredible way to experience nearby nature while remaining connected to the Athens area. Make sure to do your research beforehand so you don’t miss out on any of the outdoor opportunities, like swimming, hiking or camping.

Embark on a coffee shop crawl

One thing that Athens never experiences is a shortage of coffee. From Donkey Coffee and Espresso to Court Street Coffee to Brenen’s Coffee Cafe to Steeped & Stirred, good coffee is never further than a stone's throw away. To determine which shop's atmosphere is best suited to your tastes, and to decide which serves the best cup, it is necessary to give each of them a try. This can be accomplished over the course of a few days, or it can be done all at once in a true, high-stakes taste test.

Visit iconic food spots

Another thing that makes Athens so unique is the incredible food scene. Among many others, Bagel Street Deli, Jackie O’s, Goodfella’s Pizza and Big Mamma’s Burritos are all locations that are crucial to the culinary world of Athens and need to be sampled at least once, but most likely several times over the course of four years.

Attend a football game

One of the most important rituals of the first month of college is attending a home football game. Especially at Ohio University, where the student section is incredibly energetic and the marching band is to die for, these games can be a fun and exciting way to connect with peers and show some school spirit.

Picnic during cherry blossom season

During the spring months, the streets of Athens are littered with cherry tree leaves. There is no better place to enjoy this beautiful phenomenon than down by the Hocking River. There are plenty of places to set up a picnic along the Hocking Bike Path, and the scenery and atmosphere of the season are undeniably magical.

Study on College Green in the fall

In a similar vein as picnicking in the spring, it is an important right of passage to study on College Green while the leaves are changing colors and falling to the ground. One can set up a hammock or blanket on any of the greens on campus and settle into the autumn mood as they study, but College Green is an especially lovely place to experience it.

See a local band play

Finally, Athens wouldn’t be Athens without its rich music scene. There are always house shows to attend, as well as weekly open mic nights at Donkey Coffee and Espresso and live band performances at The Union, which will also host “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” in October, another must-see event.

AUTHOR: SOPHIA ROOKSBERRY
EDITOR: GRACE KOENNECKE
COPY EDITOR: ADDIE HEDGES
ILLUSTRATION: EMMA MCADAMS
WEB DEVELOPMENT: TAVIER LESLIE