describe pic here

Illustration by Lauren Adams | Assistant Art Director

Welcome back playlist

Published August 15, 2022

7 songs to guide you as you enter college

By Anastasia Carter | Assistant Audience Engagement Editor

“Walking On a Dream” by Empire of the Sun

Written by Australian electropop duo Empire of the Sun, “Walking On a Dream” is the perfect song to start this playlist. This song sings about how it might seem surreal that this is a reality, but you have to keep “always pushing up the hill.” As you enter college, it’s important to remember that you should keep pushing towards your goals.

“20 Something” by Sza

This song comes at the end of Sza’s debut album, Ctrl, and shares the difficulties faced being 20 something. It’s inevitable to feel like you’re stuck and things aren’t going the way you expected. This tune reminds you that many are having the same exacts thoughts and feelings that you are. Sza sings, “Hopin’ my 20 somethings won’t end, Hopin’ to keep the rest of my friends, Prayin’ the 20 somethings don’t kill me, kill me.”

“Way It Goes” by Hippo Campus

A tune meant to make you feel okay about the work you’ve put in, “Way It Goes” affirms everything that college students need to hear. Whether you’re “a 90’s soul with Doc Martens on” or “a degenerate, counter-culture, crying socialist,” Hippo Campus confirms that we’re all just doing our best. Even if it doesn’t end up the way you expect, know it’s just “the way it goes.”

“Bang!” by AJR

Released in 2020, “Bang!” is the perfect song to reflect on the situation you’re going through as you transition into college. AJR says it’s not too long before you’re an adult, so you might as well leave your youth and “go out with a bang.”

“Tennis Court” by Lorde

Reminiscent of entering famedom, this song by Lorde is another good song to vibe to no matter what you’re doing on campus. With lots of electronic flairs, she sings about how life has changed and she used to pretend to be happy but now she really is. Whether you’re excited to finally be on campus or start a new chapter, “Tennis Court” will remind you of your roots and get you pumped for the future.

“Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)” by Green Day

This acoustic classic by Green Day can accompany you after any rough encounter or questionable missed opportunity. Even if things didn’t turn out the way you planned, “make the best of this test and don’t ask why, it’s not a question but a lesson learned in time.” As you enter college, many lessons are learned and guide you in directions you never expected.

“Are You What You Want to Be?” by Foster the People

The title of this song speaks for itself, especially as you decide on your major, who you want to be as a college student and so much more. College is a time to discover yourself, so as you “wait for revelation,” keep asking yourself “are you what you want to be?”

AUTHOR: Anastasia Carter
EDITOR: Emma Dollenmayer
COPY EDITOR: Bekah Bostick
ILLUSTRATION: Lauren Adams
WEB DEVELOPMENT: Sophia Young