describe pic here

Cherry Blossoms on the Bike Path during the spring of 2022.

Athens Photoshoot Locations

Published August 15, 2022

8 must-visit photoshoot spots in Athens

By Mimi Calhoun | For The Post

School is slowly creeping up on us, and you know what that means: back-to-school social media posts. Most people will want to show off how much they missed their friends, and their hOUme away from home, so why not add some spice to your feed by getting outside and enjoying the scenery that Athens has to offer? Get ready to have the best August dump with these eight must-visit photoshoot spots:

The Seigfred Hall Mural

If you’re going for a black-and-white spot or want to diversify your social media content with some art, the Seigfred mural is for you. Located on the side of Seigfred music hall, Aethelred Eldridge, who was a professor of art at the time, began the piece in 1966. Since then, it’s been maintained and altered over the years, but the uniqueness of the mural remains.

Emeriti Park

A classic nature shot, Emeriti Park has multiple spots to get the perfect picture. From the gazebos to the pond, it’s surely a sight to behold. The countless trees are sturdy for hammocking, and the color change of the leaves during the seasons will definitely be the pop of color that your social media may need.

Along the Hocking River

Get the chance to explore Athens with a walk along the Hocking River. With it being so expansive, you’re bound to find a good location to take that desired picture. One of the best times to walk along the river and bike path is at sunset when the sky changes color and reflects along the water.

The Ridges

If you’re feeling brave, the Ridges also have many places to walk around and look at. What now houses things such as the Kennedy Art Museum, the building used to be an asylum that’s supposedly haunted and is a driving factor that Athens and OU is one of the most haunted places in the U.S. Who knows, maybe you’ll be able to capture a ghost on screen.

On top of the Athens Parking Garage

A good choice for a view of Uptown, any parking garage could suffice, but this one is in the middle of Court Street and captures all of the action. At the very top of the lot should also be graffiti and other pieces of art that you can use to spice up your pictures as well. If you want to catch a sunset, sunrise or just get a nice sky picture, this location is a 10/10.

Strouds Run State Park

An alternative for those that want to get a natury shot. Strouds may be a bit farther than other locations on the list, but it’s sure to not disappoint. From the beach and water to the trees and forest, there’s multiple places to get some exercise and fresh air while also getting many options for pictures.

Baker Center Balcony Patio

A bit of an underrated choice, Baker Center has a great view from the patio off of Front Room Coffeehouse. It overlooks a large pond as well as the chemistry building and Bird Ice Arena. Because of the path connecting West Green and New South, it’s an ideal place for people to watch while also taking a seat and grabbing a drink or snack.

Under the Richland Avenue Bridge

Another underrated photo spot, the Richland Avenue Bridge is one way to get to West Green from other parts of campus. At night, there’s lights that change color underneath it which can bring some sparkle and light to a cool night time picture. Shooting from underneath the bridge also allows for a background of the pristine and pretty green.

AUTHOR: Mimi Calhoun
EDITOR: Grace Brezine
COPY EDITOR: Bekah Bostick
PHOTO: Ryan Gryzbowski
WEB DEVELOPMENT: Riya Baker