Kelsey Boeing—Baker Center on Ohio University's campus is home to many important offices such as
the Multicultural Center, student senate offices and much more that all freshman should get to know.

Important Offices

05.28.20

Important OU offices students should know about

Taylor Burnette | Social Media Director

Ohio University has many resources for students available through various offices on campus. But, there is a lot to navigate, and it is sometimes hard for students to find where they need to go. Here are a few of the most useful offices for new students to be familiar with:

Office of the Bursar

The Office of the Bursar is located in Chubb Hall Room 010. The office bills and collects money owed to the university, including student tuition balances.

The Bursar’s website has many informative links, including information on tuition and fees, student accounts and frequently asked questions.

Advising Center

The Allen Student Advising Center, Alden Library 203, was created to help students succeed while at OU. The center offers walk-in advising, academic success workshops, commuter student services and services for first generation college students through its OHIO First Scholars Program.

The office also offers assistance in changing and exploring majors and degree pathway assistance, according to its website.

Multicultural Center

The Multicultural Center in Baker 205 focuses on providing programming that educates the campus about a variety of different cultures. The center has history and heritage months, along with other activities that facilitate and increase understanding of culture, according to the center's website.

The center also holds the Multicultural Student Expo, a program for first year African American, Asian/Pacific Islander, Hispanic/Latino and Native American students to meet upperclassmen, interact with other members of their graduating class and learn about cultural organizations on campus.

LGBT Center

The LGBT Center, Baker Room 354, provides a safe, open, and welcoming space for LGBTQ+ identifying individuals on campus and throughout the community, according to its website. It also provides resources and assistance for LGBTQ+ students.

The center offers SafeZone training that is open to students, staff, faculty and community members. Those training sessions raise awareness about the dynamics of gender and sexual diversities while exploring different ways to embody inclusive allyship for people of all orientations, genders, sexualities, identities and levels of being out, according to the website.

Women’s Center

According to its website, the Women’s Center, Baker 403, promotes inclusion and works with faculty, staff, students and the larger Athens community to promote academic achievement and leadership positions for women in all professional fields, as well as building confidence within women's personal lives.

The center does this through providing information, services and programs that address matters of particular concern to women. The center offers programs including mentorship, recognizing women leaders and international women’s coffee hour.

Career and Leadership Development Center

The Career and Leadership Development Center, located in Baker 533, offers students one-on-one coaching, skill-building workshops, leadership development programs and interactive career and leadership courses, as well as career exploration and job search events, according to its website.

The Career Closet, where students can stop by and pick up an outfit of professional attire for job interviews, career fairs or formal events on and off-campus, is also available in the CLDC.

Back
AUTHOR: Taylor Burnette
EDITOR: Abby Miller
COPY EDITOR: Molly Powers
PHOTO: Kelsey Boeing
WEB DEVELOPMENT: Brianna Lender