describe pic here

Freshman round the corner from Richland Ave Bridge onto President St. on the way to the activity fair after Convocation on August 26, 2018. Photo by Blake Nissen | For The Post

Who’s Who?

Published June 1, 2022

OU, Athens officials students should know

By Molly Wilson | News Editor

College can seem daunting for Athens-bound students leaving their hometowns and friends behind. Athens is full of new faces and personalities, but there are a few Ohio University and Athens City officials that all students should be aware of as they enter college.

President Sherman talks about COVID-19 precautions for the spring semester of the 2021-22 at Ohio University on Wednesday, Dec. 15, 2021

Jesse Jarrold-Grapes | Director of Photography

Hugh Sherman

Hugh Sherman was named Ohio University’s 22nd president in May 2021. This is his last contractual year serving as president, as he is scheduled to exit the role in June 2023.

Prior to serving as president, Sherman was the dean of the College of Business and an OU faculty member. Before joining OU’s staff in 1995, Sherman worked with Swatch Watch, which is a Swiss watch and electronics manufacturer.

Sherman’s office is located in Cutler Hall on College Green.

The Mayor of Athens, Steve Patterson poses for a portrait inside his office at the Athens city building at 8 E Washington St, Athens, Ohio, on May 18, 2021.

Tanner Pearson | For The Post

Steve Patterson

Steve Patterson is the Democratic mayor of the city of Athens. Prior to working as mayor, Patterson was a city councilman and an associate professor of health psychology at OU.

Patterson serves on several committees including the Outdoor Recreation Council of Appalachia, Southeast Ohio Public Energy Council and the Athens County Economic Development Council.

Chief Andrew Powers of The Ohio University Police Department. (Provided via Chief Powers)

Photo provided by Chief Powers

Andrew Powers

Andrew Powers is the police chief of the Ohio University Police Department, located at 118 Ridges Circle. OUPD is responsible for maintaining safety on campus.

OUPD sends out crime alerts when campus security is at risk, which students receive at their OU email account. It also conducts investigations for incidents that occur on campus and enforces criminal laws, according to OU’s website.

Dayna Shoulders

Dayna Shoulders is the newly-elected Student Senate president, which is a governance body that represents university students. Shoulders is also a founder of the President’s Student Cabinet for Inclusive Excellence.

Student Senate’s general body meets every Wednesday during the school year at 7:15 p.m. and students may attend those meetings.

Chief Tom Pyle, Athens City Police Department Chief of Police

Hannah Schroeder | For The Post

Tom Pyle

Tom Pyle is the police chief of the Athens Police Department, which maintains safety within city limits excluding campus. Although OUPD and APD work together daily, each entity maintains that OUPD jurisdiction falls within campus limits and APD juristicts over the city.

Pyle leads APD in its responsibility and job duties. Students notice the police department commonly patrolling during fest season, on Halloween weekend and during high-density events, though it patrols the city daily.

AUTHOR: Molly Wilson
EDITOR: Addie Hedges
COPY EDITOR: Aya Cathey
WEB DEVELOPMENT: Jack Hiltner