describe pic here

Photo by Tre Spencer | For The Post

Music will never disappoint

Published May 22, 2022

Hot Takes with Tate: If the typical party scene is not for you, the local music scene may be the thing for you

By Tate Raub | Opinion Editor

Coming to college can be overwhelming for a wide variety of reasons. Unpacking your things into a dorm room, wondering which student organizations to join, contemplating whether or not you’ll have time to eat lunch in between classes and everything in between. Amid the blur that is getting settled into this new stage of life, the question of how to have fun may start to creep into your mind. .

The bar and party scene on any college campus is appealing to a lot of people, that much is obvious. However, for those with short social batteries or just don’t enjoy partying, the local music scene in Athens is a fantastic alternative.

A great place to start is The Union, 18 W Union St., which houses local bands for shows almost every weekend. Most commonly, the genre is rock in some capacity, whether it’s more reminiscent of the grunge era or leans into punk. While some people are bigger fans of dancing and moshing, plenty of others prefer to stand back and listen. It’s a well-balanced environment that welcomes everyone; I can’t recommend how fun it is enough. The only downside I’ve found is the cover charge. It’s typically a few dollars less for those 21 and older, but each person only has to pay between $5 and $10.

House shows are another great opportunity to let off some steam as they typically are low to no-charge events. Many of the same bands that play at The Union put on these shows, so I recommend taking a peek at the bar’s Instagram and following any artists or bands that pique your interest. This is a great way to stay updated on where and when shows are happening. Sets played generally balanced original songs and covers, allowing audiences to sing along while also being introduced to new music.

Every Thursday, Donkey Coffee hosts an open mic night from 8 p.m. until about 10 p.m. and it is always a full house. If you are already there studying or just to get a coffee, be sure to slip into the back room on the first floor as soon as you can to get a seat and I promise you will not be disappointed. Additionally, there are often shows on Fridays and Saturdays, but make sure to keep an eye on Donkey’s Facebook page to make sure you don’t miss them.

No matter which of these options seems like the best fit for you, it’s worth noting that I’ve always had fun at all of them and even met some really cool people along the way. There is definitely pressure to fit into a more stereotypical idea of what “fun” is in college. If you fit into that, that is perfectly fine and normal. If you are looking to branch out or don’t fit into that mold at all, live music will never turn you away.

Tate Raub is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk more about it? Let Tate know by tweeting her @tatertot1310.

AUTHOR: Tate Raub
EDITOR: Meg Diehl
COPY EDITOR: Bekah Bostick
PHOTO: Tre Spencer
WEB DEVELOPMENT: Sariya Baker