describe pic here

Illustration by Trevor Brighton | Art Director

Catch a game

Published June 1, 2022

A guide to athletics venues at OU

By Ashley Beach | Sports Editor

Sports can be a big deal at Ohio University. In the past few years, several Bobcats have signed professional contracts in the WNBA, MLB, NBA and NFL.

Each season brings twists and turns. No two games are ever alike, which makes Ohio sports a hot ticket item on any given night. Students flock to pack Peden Stadium or to get rowdy in The Convo.

There’s a chance that an incoming freshman has never seen the confines of any athletic complex at OU. But don’t worry, The Post has all the class of 2026 needs to know.

Here’s your roadmap to the Ohio Athletics Mall:

Peden Stadium

Football is played at Peden Stadium, located just across the street from Emeriti Park. Peden Stadium is the oldest athletic facility on OU’s campus as it was dedicated on Nov. 2, 1929. Recently, Peden Stadium received a facelift with the addition of new speakers and an updated video board in 2017.

There will be a total of six home games next season for the football team. Ohio will kick off its season against Florida Atlantic on Sept. 3 in Peden.

The Aquatic Center

The big-box sitting across from Baker Center is in fact, an athletic facility, which is open to students for free swimming from time to time.

The Aquatic Center opened in 1984 and has been home to the swim and dive program since. OU currently does not have a men’s program, however, it boasts a successful women’s group. The Bobcats hold ten MAC titles, the most recent in 2011.

Swim season begins in the late fall and continues through the winter.

Bird Arena

Bird Arena has been home to the hockey program since its inception in 1957. While hockey is not a varsity sport at OU, these Bobcats are just as successful as any other team. The hockey program is a regular contender in the American Collegiate Hockey Association.

OU has both a Division I and Division II program. Oftentimes, the Division II squad plays late at night — roughly 11 p.m. — after the Division I team concludes its game.

Since it is not under athletics, hockey is not free to students. However, a ticket will not break the bank. Student tickets do not exceed $10, but they do sell out fast. The energy in Bird Arena is unique to the venue — the adrenaline is strong — and students love it.

Hockey begins its season in the fall.

The Convo

Men’s and women’s basketball, volleyball and wrestling are played in The Convo, located on the edge of West Green. Also known as the “Roundhouse on Richland,” The Convo has been a landmark on OU’s campus since the 1960’s. The stadium also doubles as a dormitory.

Volleyball will be the first sport to grace The Convo floor this fall. The 2022 schedule has not been released yet, but there will be a handful of home matches for students to attend. Basketball and Wrestling season will pick up in November as volleyball season comes to a close.

Ohio Softball Field

Ohio Softball Field sits just off of the back of the parking lot for The Convo. The field was completed in the spring of 1999. However, the field has seen renovations since then. In 2017, new bleachers and a new press box were added to the stadium.

Last season, Ohio finished second in the Mid-American Conference. Students will have to wait until the spring to catch a game at Ohio Softball Field, but it will be worth it. Softball games are one of OU’s hidden gems. The energy at the stadium is unlike any other at OU.

Bob Wren Stadium

Down the path from Ohio Softball field is the home of Ohio’s baseball team: Bob Wren Stadium. Named after former coach Bob Wren, the stadium has been home to the Bobcats since the 1998 season.

The field was renovated in the fall of 2018 to change the natural playing surface to artificial turf. However, the outfield remains grass.

Baseball is another sport that students will have to wait until the spring for; however, there will be plenty of baseball when the time comes. MAC baseball is played in four-game series format, meaning that there will be four games in one weekend at the same site.

Pruitt Field and Goldsberry Track

Pruitt Field opened in 2000 and is located in conjunction with Goldsberry Track.

Named after Dr. Peggy Pruitt, one of the pioneers of women’s sports at OU, Pruitt Field is home to the field hockey team. Several MAC Championships have come out of Pruitt Field, the most recent one being in 2011.

Goldsberry Track opened the same year as Pruitt Field and is home to the women’s track team. OU currently does not have a men’s track team.

Each year, the Cherry Blossom Invitational is held at Goldsberry Track. This past season, the Bobcats had great success at the home meet. Several athletes earned top five finishes across multiple events.

Chessa Field

Chessa Field is the furthest athletics complex from campus and a passer-by may miss it if they don’t know what to look for.

Nestled just before businesses and housing on the West side of Athens is the home of the women’s soccer team. Chessa Field was previously a practice site, but was renovated into a field with a $70,000 donation — which is the largest private gift to women’s athletics OU has ever seen.

Last season, soccer finished near the top of the MAC. The team is regarded as highly-competitive and has a reputation of putting on entertaining matches.

Don’t attend athletic events simply for the free giveaways. There’s something for every sports fan at OU and most games are within walking distance of dormitories. Go sit in the O-Zone and enjoy a game or two — students get in free after all.

AUTHOR: Ashley Beach
EDITOR: Will Cunningham
COPY EDITOR: Bekah Bostick
ILLUSTRATION: Trevor Brighton
WEB DEVELOPMENT: Jack Hiltner