describe pic here

Ohio defense Sam Turner (27) fights for the puck from Liberty forward Brett Gammer (92) during the Bobcats' game on Feb. 12, 2022, in Bird Arena. Photo by Alaina Dackerman | For The Post

Slapshot Snap Shot

Published June 1, 2022

Hockey: Players to Watch for the 2022-23 season

By Molly Burchard | For The Post

As one steps through the doors at Bird Arena, they'll most likely hear whispers of it being "historic," and rightfully so.

The hockey program started in 1957, and since then, it has held a special place in the hearts of many Ohio University students. Games at Bird Arena are often electric and attending a hockey game will undoubtedly be a bucket-list item for many first-year students

In addition to preparing for the 2023 American Collegiate Hockey Association Tournament after its improbable run to the quarterfinals last season, Ohio will be looking to showcase its talented roster to the university's newest fans.

Here are the players to watch in the 2022-23 season.

Sam Turner

Since he first played at Bird Arena in 2019, Turner has been a staple at Ohio, but he stepped up big last season. He quickly became one of Ohio's strongest leaders on the ice, ending last season with a team-high 36 total points and 23 assists.

Despite playing as a defenseman, Turner's help on offense gave the Bobcats a boost in many important games — especially their 9-1 win against Roosevelt on Feb. 25. In that playoff game, Turner had two goals and one assist. Turner is not afraid to go above and beyond in each game and often throws himself in harm's way just to make big plays.

Turner is also a strong leader off the ice. His voice may be heard a lot next season. Now that he is a senior and one of the most experienced members on the team, his teammates will look toward him now more than ever. If there is one thing Ohio can learn from Turner next season, it's how to be confident.

J.T. Schimizzi

Schimizzi is to the Bobcats as peanut butter is to jelly. The two complement each other perfectly.

Like Turner, Schimizzi was also a big part of Ohio's offense last season. He led the team with 19 goals — five of which were scored in the season's first six games. With the help of Schimizzi, Ohio went 7-3 in its first 10 games. Similar to last season, Schimizzi will look to come out, skates blazing, to propel his team to another strong start.

Watch Schimizzi as the clock runs down. The forward is good at making clutch plays. He had three game-winning goals last season, including one to upset then No. 3 Liberty 3-2 on the road. It was a huge win for Ohio and its first against a top-three team.

Phil Angervil

Angervil was a standout freshman last season with his quick puck work and dominance on the ice. Don't blink or you'll miss him score.

Angervil can travel from one side of the ice to another in a matter of seconds. Last season, the forward weaved his way through defenders to score multiple impressive goals. He finished the season with seven shots in the net, the most out of Ohio's underclassmen.

In addition, Angervil is not afraid to stick up for his teammates. One wrong move from the opponent, and Angervil is there. This sometimes puts him in the penalty box, but his fearlessness doesn't go unnoticed.

Matt Server

Server wasn't Ohio's go-to goalie for the whole year, but became a regular starter in the second half of the season.

Ohio coach Lionel Mauron knew he could count on Server versus tough opponents, so he started playing him more. Server held his own against many of the ACHA's top five teams, and even helped Ohio upset No. 2 Minot State in the second round of the ACHA Tournament by saving 31 of 33 shots on goal. Because of this, Server may see more time in the net next season alongside fellow goalie Max Karlenzig.

AUTHOR: Molly Burchard
EDITOR: Ashley Beach
COPY EDITOR: Lauren Serge
ILLUSTRATION: Alaina Dackerman
WEB DEVELOPMENT: Sariya Baker