A traditional scale is illustrated balancing different aspects of everyday life for students as singular images.

Illustration by Trevor Brighton | Art Director

Ways to balance a healthy college lifestyle

Published June 1, 2022

7 tips on how to balance your freshman year of college

By Mimi Calhoun | For The Post

Freshman year can be daunting. With navigating a new environment, juggling harder coursework and trying to make friends, things can start to pile up and become overwhelming. However, freshman year also marks the beginning of some of the best years of your life. It can be difficult, but it’s all totally worth it. Here’s seven tips on how to balance everything during your freshman year:

Step out of your comfort zone

It’s easier said than done, but college is the time to experience new things. Everyone is in the same boat as you, so don’t be afraid to show up alone to organization meetings you want to try out, or take a risk and talk to the people on your floor. The chances are very high that there will be people glad that someone else approached them, or that new people are checking out that club too.

Find a planner that works for you

College is all about managing your time, and coursework is no exception. Even if you thought you didn’t need a planner in high school, consider a different way of planning. Google Calendar, Microsoft calendar, keeping a Google Document, Google Keep, the notes app on your phone or just a good old-fashioned physical planner are great options. It makes keeping up with classes, organization meetings and other events a lot easier.

Take time for yourself

When you’re a freshman, you’re constantly surrounded by people and trying to make friends. Although it’s easy to fear missing out, keep in mind that your well-being is just as important as making new connections. It’s perfectly alright to want to do things on your own or not feel up to something that others may want to do. Something as simple as going for a walk through Emeriti Park alone or sitting in a coffee shop by yourself can do a lot for your mental health.

Stay on campus on the weekends

Some of the best memories come from weekends at OU. The weekends are for having little to no obligations, so it’s one of the best times to make friends and hang out with others without any distractions. Try to get all of your school work done by Friday, and then it won’t be weighing on you throughout the weekend. Staying on campus also allows you to become more acclimated with being away from home and in the head space that OU is both your school and second home.

Know that it’s OK not to be involved in everything

With the many student organizations, clubs and jobs on campus, it’s tempting to join all of it. However, it’s important that you don’t overwhelm yourself. Step out of your comfort zone to be part of things, but juggling the coursework, extracurriculars, spending time with friends, making time for yourself and going out can be a lot. Take time to pick and choose what’s important to you and what really makes you happy.

Remember why you’re at school

Although it may be tempting to go out every night or hang out with friends all the time, remember why you’re at school: coursework and academics should be one of your top priorities. It’s silly to spend thousands of dollars to not go to class or not turn in work, and it’ll make you feel better to know that you’re putting in effort. OU has lots of great things to offer outside of the classroom, but keep in mind that your experience is enhanced by being inside the classroom too.

AUTHOR: Mimi Calhoun
EDITOR: Grace Brezine
COPY EDITOR: Katie Trott
ILLUSTRATION: Trevor Brighton
WEB DEVELOPMENT: Sariya Baker