Illustration depicts a guy with various junk foods on a table. The backround is yellow and the table is brown.

Where to spend your meal plan swipes

<<<<<<< HEAD

Published June 1 2022

=======

Published June 1, 2022

>>>>>>> 0f7e619e9e8fde59dd392ed431c403d73291028d

Dining hall survival guide: 6 places to go to with your meal plan, flex points on campus

By William Troyer | For The Post

Students have two options for their meal plan, traditional and flex. The traditional meal plan allows you to choose between 14 or 20 meal swipes to be used at the dining halls, Nelson Court and The District on West Green, popularly known as Boyd. With the traditional plan, swipes can also be spent at Smooth Moves, a smoothie store located in Boyd Market.

Flex plans offer the same 14 or 20 meal swipe route but with added flex points. These flex points can be spent at any campus market or restaurant, resulting in a much wider variety in food options.

Bobkittens, look no further, this guide will give first-comers insight into what you can get with your chosen meal plan:

Nelson Commons

Nelson Commons, or often shortened by students, as “Nelson” is the dining hall located on South Green. It has a total capacity of 275 students and boasts six dining concepts including Kalamata Leaf (Italian), Bamboo Bowl (Asian Food), Smoke ‘N Flames (Burgers), Sunny Side Up (Breakfast), a salad bar and a sundae funday station which offers free ice cream.

The commons also offers a to-go box system in which you can get meals to go. Nelson Commons costs one meal swipe to enter and serves breakfast from 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. lunch from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., and dinner from 5:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

The District West

The District on West Green, more commonly referred to as “Boyd” -- although some students might understand what you mean by “The District” -- is the dining hall located on West Green. Boyd has more of a fancy restaurant kind of vibe to it. Boyd, much like Nelson, offers international cuisines (Destinations); a sandwich station (Between the Bread); house-made pasta (Noodled) which includes mac and cheese; a stir fry station (Margaret’s) and several unique diet options for those with food restrictions (West Greens and Margaret’s).

Boyd also offers a smoothie store (Smooth Moves) within Boyd market which is located next to the dining hall. Boyd, like Nelson, offers meals to go. Boyd costs one meal swipe to enter and serves lunch from 1:30 p.m.to 3:30 p.m. and Dinner from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

West 82

For the folks with a flex meal plan, West 82 is where you can put those sweet flex points to use. West 82 serves as the college food court, consisting of a salad/soup bar and rotating hot bar (The College Greens) served from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

The Brick Oven serves East Coast-style pizza, cheesy breadsticks, pretzels, chicken tenders, and more. The deli offers made-to-order sandwiches and wraps, served hot or cold. Verde Bianco offers made-to- order burritos, quesadillas and chips. And finally, the station, Sandwiches & More offer made-to-order burgers, hot sandwiches, fries, tots and onion petals. Prices vary by item, but the best part is, flex points work as real money at West 82.

West 82 has fridges stocked with various sodas, water and tea products and also an abundance of snack-like products such as bags of chips and protein bars. West 82 is open from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. and is closed on Saturday and Sunday.

Jefferson Market

Conveniently located on the first floor of Jefferson hall is Jefferson Marketplace, commonly known by students as Jeff Market. It is the biggest campus market and is actually more of a campus grocery store. The market sells college essentials, merch, food and drinks and also boasts two Peet's Coffee bars, a juice bar and houses the Brick City Deli. You can use your meal swipes for groceries, but must use flex points for Peets or Brick City Deli. Jeff Market opens at 11 a.m. and closes at 9 p.m. during the weekends and opens at 10 a.m. and closes at 10 p.m. on the weekdays.

Frontroom

On the fourth floor of Baker University Center, or Baker for short, is the Frontroom Coffee House, one of the four on-campus cafes. The cafe specializes in various Starbucks drinks and houses the Open Mic nights every Friday night. Frontroom’s hours are from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. every day.

Latitude 39

Latitude 39 is your traditional sit-in restaurant on the first floor of Baker. It is the perfect gathering place for snacks, beverages, classic American pub food and alcohol for those 21 and over. Latitude 39 accepts flex points, Bobcat cash and your traditional payment methods. It is open Tuesday through Saturday every week during the school year from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.

AUTHOR: William Troyer
EDITOR: Emma Dollenmayer
COPY EDITOR: Aya Cathey
ILLUSTRATION: Trevor Brighton
WEB DEVELOPMENT: Sariya Baker