Photo by Ryan Grzybowski | For The Post

Republican J.D. Vance wins Ohio’s U.S. Senate Seat

Published November 9, 2022

J.D. Vance defeats Tim Ryan in Ohio’s U.S. Senate race

By Jack Solon | For The Post

Republican candidate J.D. Vance won the Midterm Election for Ohio’s U.S. Senate seat, defeating Democratic opponent Tim Ryan. The seat was previously held by retiring Sen. Rob Portman.

Vance received 40.04% of the vote in Athens County, or 7,219 votes, while Ryan received 59.76% of the vote in Athens County, or 10,773 votes. Overall in the state, Vance received 2,121,325 votes, or 53.5% of the vote, as of 11:51 p.m. Tuesday.

Vance does not have a background in politics, instead being known for his 2016 memoir “Hillbilly Elegy.” He also served as a Marine.

Neither Vance nor Ryan could be immediately reached for comment.

According to Vance’s campaign website, he hopes to help combat the opioid epidemic within Ohio as well as put America first while in his position.

“Opioid addiction has devastated my family and my community,” according to Vance’s website. “More and more Ohioans are falling victim to addiction, which means an entire generation of children orphaned, and another generation of grandparents forced to step up for our community’s kids. Communities are on the decline as job loss and poverty further engulf them.”

Despite Vance winning the general election, an avid Athens voter, Barbara Ward, said the Senate race was the most important to her when casting her ballot.

“I voted for Tim Ryan,” said Ward, who voted at the Athens Community Center polling location Tuesday. “I just believe women's rights are at stake, democracy is at stake.”

Vance said as a U.S. Senator, he also plans to address the Texas-Mexico border and call for reform of the immigration systems currently in place.

“Millions of people want to come here, and we should only allow them if they contribute something meaningful to our country,” according to Vance’s website. •“Importantly, our ability to assimilate immigrants successfully—something our country should be proud of—is contingent on American leadership that loves this country.”

AUTHOR: Jack Solon
EDITOR: Molly Wilson, Maya Morita and Addie Hedges
COPY EDITOR: Aya Cathey
PHOTOGRAPHY: Ryan Grzybowski
WEB DEVELOPMENT: Anastasia Carter