HOUmecoming Survival Guide

October 6, 2022

HOUmecoming survival guide

By Grace Brezine | Assistant Beat Editor

Homecoming at Ohio University is a weekend full of fun, friends and no sleep. Showing your Bobcat pride means being on Court Street at the crack of dawn to make memories with your besties. While it is a weekend that most OU students look forward to, it can be a long two days that you need to prepare for. Here are some tips and tricks to get you through the exciting, yet tiring weekend:

Get your homework done before the weekend
Even if you don’t have anything due between Friday and Sunday, it might be a good idea to get ahead for the next week. Chances are you are going to want to sleep in on Sunday and you might still be recovering coming Monday. Allow yourself the time to relax next week because you’re going to need it.

Grinding out your assignments for this weekend and next week will also give you time to do some much needed self care. Plus, you will probably do better this week while you’re focused and rested than after a two-day bender.

Stay caffeinated and hydrated
While you might want to drink four coffees and a few Red Bulls, it’s important to drink water too. Enjoy your caffeinated beverage of choice, then double that with water. If you drink a large iced coffee, drink two large cups of water. You’ll thank yourself later when you don’t have the caffeine shakes.

Make sure to eat
Homecoming weekend is all about non-stop fun. That being said, you might forget to eat a substantial meal. Between the events you’re going to attend, make sure to stop at your favorite restaurant on Court to fuel up. It also might be a good idea to carry some granola bars or fruit snacks in your bag, too.

Take a nap
Waking up before the sun rises is what makes Homecoming weekend so fun. It tests your stamina and, for some reason, doing everything at 6 a.m. is just way better. While some people try to stay up Friday night into Saturday night, it’s a better idea to take a power nap in between. This way, you’ll have more fun on Saturday night and recover a little easier come Sunday morning.

Self-care before and after
Practicing self care before and after a long weekend is vital so that you can live up to all of your expectations for homecoming. On Thursday night, take some time for yourself by doing your skincare routine, cooking or purchasing one of your favorite meals and going to bed early. This will get you ready for Friday and Saturday.

When Sunday comes, allow yourself to sleep in if you can. If not, squeeze in a nap or go to bed early. Maybe take a long, hot shower and even use a face mask or eye gels to repair your skin. Eat a nutritious meal and drink some tea if your throat needs it. Homecoming is always a fun and special weekend for all Bobcats, but there’s a right way to do it.

AUTHOR: Grace Brezine
EDITOR: Emma Dollenmayer
COPY EDITOR: Aya Cathey
WEB DEVELOPMENT: Hunter Thiede