Ohio University's Homecoming History

October 6, 2022

9 OU history fast facts to kick off "HOUmecoming"

By Emma Dollenmayer | The Beat Editor

Much of Ohio University's annual homecoming events revolve around connecting with those who walked the bricks before us current students. Amidst all of the university's efforts to plan memorable events, many forget the underlying base for the celebratory weekend: OU and its history.

One thing all Bobcats share is their love for Ohio; the university has provided us with an influx of knowledge, experiences and memories to last a lifetime.

For those who want to gain better insight on what makes OU, here is a list of some of our school's biggest historical milestones, along with a few fun facts that will make most people appreciate the campus even more.

Oldest college in the state

Though this fact is widely-known, some may be unaware they are currently attending or once attended the first public college institution in the state. OU was founded in 1804 and opened in 1808 with only one building, three students and one professor. 20 years later, in 1828, John Newton Templeton became the first Black graduate of OU with an A.B. degree. He was also the third Black man to graduate from college in the U.S. The Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium, more commonly known as MemAud, was named after this historical figure.

Cutler Hall is the oldest building on campus

Cutler Hall, located in the heart of OU, College Green, is the oldest building on campus and the oldest in the original Northwest Territory of the U.S. Formally known as Manasseh Cutler Hall, the building houses school offices. The building was named after a New England physician, botanist, and minister who wrote the university's charter in 1804.

In 2015, Playboy magazine crowned OU as the #1 top party school in the nation. Prior to this, OU had made the list four times, but never took home the number one spot. The year before OU's big win, 2014, OU didn't even make the list. That year, the University of Pennsylvania won the title but fell short of making the cut once 2015 came around.

This title was largely due to the OU's famous block party. However, it has not taken place in two years. The block party was once so largely anticipated and famous Four Loko even sponsored it. A list was even compiled on BroBible stating the reasons OU is the top party school is for Court Street, Bong Hill, Green Beer Day, "Win or Lose, Bobcats Booze," Welcome Weekend, Homecoming, Fest season, Numbers Fest (RIP), Halloween and the overall Bobcat attitude.

Girl power at OU

During the formation of OU, The Civil War was ongoing. In 1868, women were permitted to enroll in the university because the faculty recognized that women could academically contribute just as much as their male counterparts. Among these women was Margaret Boyd, the first female graduate of OU. At her commencement ceremony, the president of the university at the time, President Scott, named her the "oldest of a great sisterhood of graduates."

14 women joined the campus following Boyd's graduation, and by the 20th century, almost half of the students were women. These women implemented the first sororities at OU that still stand today in addition to six others: Pi Beta Phi (1889) Alpha Gamma Delta (1908), Alpha Xi Delta (1911) and Chi Omega (1913).

Girl power at OU

Like many national universities, several famous and notable figures attended or graduated from OU. Some include Paul Newman, activist, businessperson, and entrepreneur; Krista Allen, model and actress; Arsenio Hall, comedian, television producer and film producer; Nancy Cartwright, comedian, actor, and voice actor; Joe Eszterhas, journalist, film producer, and screenwriter; Adam Russell, baseball player; and Piper Perabo, television producer, film producer, and actor; just to name a few.

Paul Newman voiced Doc Hudson in Disney's first installment of "Cars," Krista Allen starred in "Days of Our Lives" and "Baywatch," and Arsenio Hall hosted his own talk show, "The Arsenio Hall Show."

Nancy Cartwright voiced Bart Simpson on "The Simpsons," and Joe Eszterhas wrote the screenplay for "Flashdance."

Adam Russell was a pitcher for the Chicago White Sox, San Diego Padres, and Tampa Bay Rays and Piber Perabo starred in "Coyote Ugly." Just to highlight a few of their roles and accomplishments.

OU is home to a renowned journalism program

OU was ranked #32 on College Factual's most recent list of best journalism school. This ranking puts the bachelor's program in the top 15% of all colleges and universities in the country. It is ranked #1 for journalism in Ohio. Many of the individual publications and outlets have received their own respected awards as well.

The attack cat logo, wasn't always OU's official logo

In 1996, OU's athletic department unveiled the Bobcat attack logo we still have today. This became the new official logo in 2002. Prior to this, OU's logo was a pawprint. This year marks the 20th anniversary for the attack cat logo.

OU opened the first university-based business incubator in the state

The innovation center located on campus is one many do not know about. The center, "provides valuable business incubation resources to fuel the economy in Athens, Ohio and surrounding regions," according to OHIO's research page. The innovation center was the first-university based business incubator in the state, and the 12th in the nation, following its opening in 1893. The innovation center provides resources such as professional use for office space, labs and meeting spaces, leased at high rates; access to expert professionals; and shared access to exclusive office equipment sich as printing, copying, faxing, scanning, high-speed internet, conference phones and more.

The first "unofficial" Halloween party occurred in 1974

The first famous but "unofficial" Halloween block party commenced in 1974. Those dressed in costumes drove Court Street traffic to a halt for two hours on Halloween night. By 1977, the Athens City Council passed a resolution closing Court Street to traffic and allowing an official Halloween celebration. At the time, OU and the city of Athens even hosted and sponsored events, including a costume contest, live music and a large cake for party-goers to eat. However, by 1979, the university dropped its sponsorship due to the high number of arrests. In 1990, the city of Athens recognized the party once again, but the university itself did not.

AUTHOR: Emma Dollenmayer
EDITOR: Grace Brezine
COPY EDITOR: Aya Cathey
ILLUSTRATION: Trevor Brighton
WEB DEVELOPMENT: Hunter Thiede