describe pic here

Parallel Perspectives Uncover the Heart of Homecoming

October 8, 2022

By Lauren Key | Culture writer

The word "Homecoming" will resonate differently with everyone embellished in green and white this weekend. For some, the event serves as an excuse to become a football fan, avoid a dreaded paper or possibly take on Court Street.

However, for others, the word aligns with its literal meaning: an opportunity to return to one's roots. Since 1919, Ohio University alums have been welcomed and celebrated by faculty and students, proving that there really is no place like home.

In attempts to better understand how the perception of Homecoming differs for those routinely and recently affiliated with OU, it is imperative to consider the connections Homecoming allows people to rekindle.

Sharing his wisdom on the topic, Andre Gribou, a music professor, reinstalls the fact that numerous facets comprise Homecoming.

"There's a conceptual thing, which is, I understand what homecoming is about for people to revisit their experience here and to reconnect with friends and fellow alumni and just sort of have just a sense of that community that clearly matters to them because otherwise they wouldn't be here," Gribou said.

Aligning with his statement, Gribou recalled reconnecting with a previous student thanks to OU's Black Alumni Reunion. Gribou said he and the graduate, like others, have memorable connections that encourage them to return.

While such instances have created parallels between the conceptual and personal perceptions of Homecoming for the faculty member, not all of them have been convenient. As a music professor, Gribou said Homecoming would likely disrupt "certain elements of (his) schedule," such as previously established rehearsal plans. However, the possibility of revitalizing old friendships outweighs the possibility of disturbance.

Additionally, Chris Millard, a class of 1992 alumna of OU, has had the joy of watching both of her daughters attend OU, a matter she said to be influential when questioned on what Homecoming specifically means to her.

"I see it both through their eyes and mine, it's just like this totally surreal experience," Millard said.

Millard agrees with Gribou that Homecoming allows alums to recount old memories and create new ones.

When asked to recall a fond experience from Homecoming at OU, Millard said "the process" was the most memorable component of the celebration.

"You'd get up early, and you'd go down to a party with kegs and eggs," Millard said, referring to her time living at Court St.

At 10 a.m., with the annual parade in full swing, Millard and her friends would have already been up for hours, watching the procession.

Unable to discern just one tradition or occasion of Homecoming that she wishes she could relive, Millard said she would want to do as much as possible. She noted the important role that Marching 110 plays in providing the necessary school spirit.

"I would want to do it all," Millard said. "I would want to go to a party. I would want to go Uptown at 10 in the morning and see the parade. I would want to go watch the band. I think for me, the music kind of brings it all together, so that band is such a central part of all those memories, it just brings you back."

One possible influence of her statement regarding music's ability to bring people together could be the Marching 110's habit to "spell out bad words with their drumsticks"– a claim that Millard's friend in the band confirmed.

Regardless of previous band revelations, Millard said OU to now and forever be "God's country," one with which she feels "a strong connection."

On the other hand, Jaden Watson, a sophomore studying early childhood education, provides a student view of Homecoming at OU.

"To me, it just means seeing all the alumni," Watson said. "It's very interesting seeing them all come back for the football game."

Watson, who is mostly looking forward to meeting up with her friends from Cru and watching the football game, encouraged fellow students to be active participants in OU's Homecoming festivities.

OU alumni will bring power back to the streets of Athens this weekend and empower those around them. As graduates continue to not forget where they came from, students should continue to remember who paved the way.

AUTHOR: Lauren Key
EDITOR: Alyssa Cruz
COPY EDITOR: Aya Cathey
WEB DEVELOPMENT: Hunter Thiede