Diversity in Faculty Salaries

12/6/2018

OU's Salary Report gives insight into faculty diversity and pay

Ian Mckenzie / For The Post

Correction: Due to errors in The Post’s analysis of this dataset, a previous version of this report greatly underestimated the salary of many university employees. Information that could not be confirmed has been removed and information about the limitations of the dataset has been added for clarity. This article has been updated with the most accurate information.

The Ohio University Salary Report provides insight into faculty and staff diversity, focusing on gender, age and ethnicity.

Of the 1,197 faculty members, only 75 did not disclose their ethnicity in the data provided by OU. Of OU’s full and part time employees, 2,695 are women and 2,400 are men.

“Faculty salaries are impacted by a variety of factors, including classification (Group I, Group II, or another group), status (full-time versus part time) and duration of employment in a current position,” Loralyn Taylor, interim Associate Provost for Institutional Research said in an email.

According to the faculty handbook, a group I faculty members are on the tenure track. Group I is also broken down into three groups: group I, Group I, or other groups, Taylor said in an email. The averages do not take into account the duration faculty members have been employed.

On average, group I female faculty, make $85,443, while men earn about $94,243. There are 335 women in group I and 531 men.

Comparing salaries with the provided data comes with several limitations. The salary averages don’t account for the fact that many minority employees were hired more recently and therefore earn less. Men are overrepresented in fields such as STEM that tend to be higher paying. Many sample sizes are also too small to calculate a clear correlation.

Group II faculty members are those who are not on the tenure track. On average, group II female faculty make $57,134, while men earn $64,064. There are 198 female faculty members and 133 male faculty members.

There are two group 1 male faculty members that identify as being two or more races. They make the most money out of all group I faculty members, making an average salary of $127,889. The highest earning group I women are Hispanic or Latino, which earn an average of $95,925. There are 12 women in that group.

For the 198 group II women, the average salary is $57,134. For the 133 men, the average salary is $64,064.

The highest earning group II women are Hispanic or Latino women, earning an average of $62,311. There are 3 women in that category. The highest earning group II men are African American, earning an average of $71,933. There are 4 people in that category.

The group I people that makes the least amount of money are men whose ethnicity is listed as international. They earn $76,265 on average. There are 13 group I international men.

The group II category that makes the least amount of money are international women, who earn $44,072. There are two group II international women.

The estimated population of Ohio in 2017 was about 82 percent white. The next highest percentage of full time group 1 and 2 faculty members at OU identify as Asian, making up 7 percent of the population. In 2017, about two percent of Ohioans identified as Asian.

From 2012 to 2016, the number of “underrepresented” faculty members increased 133 percent, according to a previous Post report.

Diversity has been an area of focus for the university this year. In January, Michelle Ferrier, former associate dean of the Scripps College of Communication, said that she felt that her position was removed because of her sex and race, according to a previous Post report. according to a previous Post report.

descutner

Abby Gordon | ART DIRECTOR

OU President Duane Nellis and Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion Gigi Secuban recently started the Presidential Commission on the Status of Women, which began meeting in November, Jim Sabin, a university spokesman, said in an email.

The goal of the commission is to develop new strategies to identify key issues and solutions concerning women. The commission will also be cataloging work that has already been completed at the university.

“The commission will ensure that gender diversity and women’s issues remain at the forefront of Ohio University’s mission and awareness,” Sabin said in an email.

In September 2018, OU was given the 2018 INSIGHT Into Diversity Higher Education Excellence in Diversity Award. The award is given to universities that have shown commitment to broadening diversity and inclusion on campus, Sabin said in an email.

Colleges are judged on their student recruitment, retention and programs and hiring practices for faculty. The university is also looking into increasing staffing in the Women’s Center, LGBT Center, the Office for Multicultural Student Access and Retention (OSMAR) and the Multicultural Center.

Development by: Megan Knapp / Digital Production Editor

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.