Diversity in Faculty Salaries

12/6/2018

Diversity among faculty member salaries

Ian Mckenzie / For The Post

Editor’s Note: Due to a reporting error, many of the numbers in this report are incorrect. Our staff is working to discern the updated information, and the story will be updated when new information is available.

The Ohio University Salary Report provides insight into faculty and staff diversity, focusing on gender, age and ethnicity.

Of the 6,151 faculty members, only 1,491 have their ethnicity disclosed in the salary report. The university faculty is made up of 3,336 women and 2,815 men, according to the report. The entire faculty answered either male or female.

The salary of the faculty members and their ethnic origin is reported in the OU Salary Report as of September 2018. On average of all female faculty, women make $29,595, while men earn about $43,360.

In 2017, OU had 3432 female employees and 2923 male employees.

When compared to 2017, the average salary for female faculty members was $28,286, while men earned an average of $41,380.

Asian men, who make up about 4 percent of the faculty, make the most money out of all the faculty members who identified their ethnicity in the report. On average, they earn a salary of $83,584.

Women who identify as Hispanic/Latina make the most on average for women and the third highest average salary overall, which is $70,792. They make up .2 percent of faculty members overall.

In 2017, men who identified as Asian earned $82,251 on average. The lowest earning group identified were white women, who earned $37,147 on average.

Of the faculty members who identified their ethnicity, the group that makes the least amount of money are white women, who earn about $38,266 on average. That puts them slightly above the average for the faculty as a whole, which earn about $36,276 annually.

Of the top 10 highest-grossing university employees, 9 of them are men. Their combined salary is $3,521,889.

About 86 percent of faculty members identify as white. The estimated population of Ohio in 2017 was about 82 percent white. The next highest percentage of faculty members at OU identify as Asian, making up 6 percent of the faculty’s population. In 2017, about two percent of Ohioans identified as Asian.

On average, those who did not list their ethnicity earn $23,984.

When looking at salaried administrators, those who identify as women earn $63,074 on average while administrators who identify as male earn $73,778 on average. The average age of salaried administrators is about 43 years old.

The average age of faculty members is about 49. The average age for men is about 51, while the average for women is about 48.

From 2012 to 2016, the number of “underrepresented” faculty members increased 133 percent, according to a previous Post report.

descutner

Abby Gordon | ART DIRECTOR

Diversity has been an area of focus for the university this year. In January, Michelle Ferrier, former associate dean of the Scripps College of Communication, said that she felt that her position was removed because of her sex and race, according to a previous Post report.

OU President Duane Nellis and Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion Gigi Secuban recently started the Presidential Commission on the Status of Women, which began meeting in November, Jim Sabin, a university spokesman, said in an email.

The goal of the commission is to develop new strategies to identify key issues and solutions concerning women. The commission will also be cataloging work that has already been completed at the university.

“The commission will ensure that gender diversity and women’s issues remain at the forefront of Ohio University’s mission and awareness,” Sabin said in an email.

In September 2018, OU was given the 2018 INSIGHT Into Diversity Higher Education Excellence in Diversity Award. The award is given to universities that have shown commitment to broadening diversity and inclusion on campus, Sabin said in an email.

Colleges are judged on their student recruitment, retention and programs and hiring practices for faculty.

The university is also looking into increasing staffing in the Women’s Center, LGBT Center, the Office for Multicultural Student Access and Retention (OSMAR) and the Multicultural Center.

Development by: Megan Knapp / Digital Production Editor

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.