MEAGAN HALL

The Bean Scene

08.24.17

Your Athens coffee guide

Madeleine Peck / For The Post

Summer and sleeping in go hand-in-hand. Some students may be accustomed to waking up at noon, so even a 9 a.m. class can be a big shock to the system. To stop from yawning in the face of professors and get a jump on semester assignments, coffee is the salvation for many.

Luckily for Bobcats, Athens offers a variety of coffee shops to keep students caffeinated on and off campus.

Here’s what you need to know about where to get that cup of joe:

Brenen's Coffee Cafe

Early in the semester can still be too warm for hot coffee. A more refreshing alternative is Brenen’s cold-brew coffee on tap, Josh Thomas, the cafe’s owner, said. The cold brew was popular last year during the warmer months, and the shop even makes a cold blend brewed with nitrogen.

Even though every other stressed student has tried to survive on solely coffee during finals week, food has proven to be critical. That’s where Brenen’s also comes in handy.

Thomas confirmed that “meal plans” at the cafe are still offered for repeat customers to save on their soups, sandwiches and homemade baked goods.

Drip coffee prices: small $2, medium $2.25, large $2.50

Campus Cafes

Need a quick latte between English 1510 and Introduction to Marketing? You don't need to head all the way Uptown, considering a campus cafe is run by OU Culinary Services on almost every green.

Whether you prefer The Front Room Coffeehouse in Baker Center or South Side Espresso Bar in Nelson Commons, watch out for the cafes’ drink of the month specials. During September, you can pair a French vanilla latte with a pecan delight coffee cake for a reduced price, OU spokesman Dan Pittman said. Also, pack a reusable mug, and you can get it filled with drip coffee for $1.25, the same cost as a refill.

Sipping on your coffee in Front Room will be a little different this year, though. As part of a $1 million renovation project, Front Room received a makeover during the summer and will feature new furniture, floors, counters and paint come the start of the semester, according to an OU press release.

Drip coffee prices: small $1.75, medium $1.95, large $2.10

Court Street Coffee

Just a short walk off of campus, you can cozy up with a Court Street Mocha at Court Street Coffee. The espresso, milk and chocolate combo, which can come hot or frozen, is the shop’s No. 1 seller, barista Jonathan Quinlan said.

If you find yourself heading there regularly for your coffee fix, take note of the shops gift card deal. Every $25 gift card comes with a regular size latte, mocha or smoothie, Quinlan said.

The barista also mentioned that people don’t always know about Court Street Coffee’s “really good” food selection, including the same bagels sold at Bagel Street Deli, and their $1.25 refills.

Drip coffee prices: small $1.75, regular $2, large $2.25

Donkey Coffee and Espresso

Donkey Coffee

Alex Driehaus | FILE

Donkey Coffee and Espresso, May 12, 2016.

Enjoy the August weather from Donkey’s second-floor patio, or escape the heat in one of their broken-in sofas? No matter how you take your study break, barista Tyler Bendig recommends sipping on a mocha or cappuccino while you’re at it. He also noted that customers should be on the lookout for the coffee shop’s drinks of the month and roasts of the weeks.

Looking to save money while drinking Donkey’s fair-trade coffee? With the Donkey Card you can earn a point for every drink you buy, other than drip coffee. After you have collected 10 points, congrats, you get even more coffee on the house with a free drink.

Drip coffee prices: small $1.95, medium n/a, large $2.25

Whit's Frozen Custard

Whit’s may be known for its frozen custard, but you may not know it also has some of the cheapest coffee in Athens. Although trying to refill the keg you emptied last weekend may be frowned upon, you can bring your own cup to the shop and get it filled with drip coffee for only $1, employee Levi Shears said.

If coffee or custard isn’t your thing, Shears also recommends trying out the smoothies at Whit’s, especially the “strawberry delight.”

Drip coffee prices: small $1.50, medium $1.95, large $2.25

Back

Development by: Taylor Johnston / Digital Production Editor