MEAGAN HALL

A Welcome From the Editor

08.24.17

From The Editor's Desk: Welcome Back to Athens and catch up on what you missed

Elizabeth Backo / Editor-in-Chief

Landen Lama

Matt Starkey | FILE

Welcome back to Ohio University, Athens and, of course, The Post.

Returning to Athens — or arriving for the first time — means seeing new faces around campus and reuniting with old friends. It’s time to shift back into gear by attending classes, participating in clubs and seeking out your favorite uptown eateries.

For many students, summertime means time away from Athens, so The Post wants to welcome everyone back with a paper on the newsstand before classes even begin.

If you stuck with The Post online this summer, you’ve probably seen some notable headlines, but if you’ve been soaking up the sun and disconnecting for a while, here are few to catch up:

The City of Athens put on its first Pride Fest in mid-June, which included a weekend of activities.

On June 12, OU’s 21st president, Duane Nellis, received his official OU ID during his first day in his new role.

In sports, Tom Colletti, a right-handed pitcher for the Bobcats, signed with the San Diego Padres. Later in July, hundreds of people attended a Southern Ohio Copperheads game to break the world record for the most people to simultaneously spin fidget spinners.

But even if you missed some news during the summer, don’t fret. The beginning of the academic year is the time for new beginnings. You can pick up The Post every Thursday morning and read us online every day at thepostathens.com. And for you digital folks, we have a Facebook page and a Twitter account.

Plus, in this issue, you can catch up on everything you missed this summer and find out what you have to look forward to.

For example, the International Student Union has a new leadership team and is hoping to take time to honor the organization’s history this year.

Throughout the year, the Performing Arts and Concert Series will put on shows, including an evening of comedy with Dave Coulier, known for his role as Joey in Full House, and a country show with Brothers Osborne.

In sports, Ohio’s hockey team lost 10 seniors, but young talent is returning in hopes of returning to — and winning — the national championship game this season.

Also, expect some additional Wi-Fi coverage on campus.

Though, one thing that hasn’t changed is that The Post is in Baker 325. Always feel free to stop in and say hello. We’ll be here all year long, reporting on the latest news.

And to all the new and old readers, welcome back.

—Elizabeth Backo is a senior studying journalism and the editor-in-chief of The Post. Want to talk to her? Email her at eb823313@ohio.edu or tweet her @liz_backo.

Back

Development by: Taylor Johnston / Digital Production Editor

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.