Illustration by Olivia Juenger | For The Post

Love the Local Look

August 24, 2021

Local businesses detail items offered for back to school shopping

By Lauren Serge | Staff Writer

A s the start of the school year begins and students move back to campus, there is often a great deal of shopping to get done. Luckily, in Athens, there are numerous small businesses that offer all the essentials to start the school year off right.

Many Ohio University students in need of standard school supplies will head to the College Bookstore, 50 S. Court St. Gene Armes, general manager of College Bookstore, said the store is constructed to be a one-stop shop for students’ basic school essentials.

“We do our best to cater to the university students,” Armes said. “We actually build our selection around the things that students on campus would need in order to function on campus – from the textbooks all the way down to supplies and any OU memorabilia.”

Armes said the store carries a wide variety of products, for academic purposes and personal enjoyment.

“We provide Ohio University students with college text,” Armes said. “We also offer college souvenirs, sportswear supplies and art materials. We have a Greek shop for sororities in the store as well. We try to offer as many items that a college student would need as possible.”

Further down Court Street is Artifacts Gallery, 2 W. State St., which is a locally owned boutique that specializes in eclectic clothing and jewelry. Amy Mangano, owner of Artifacts Gallery, said the boutique, like others in Athens, is special due to its small business features.

“I think all the stores on Court Street are a good place to shop, but our store is good to shop at because we employ local people,” Mangano said. “And we have made in the USA gift items and T-shirts. We are a small family-owned business, so it's awesome to support that, as many other small businesses are on Court Street.”

“I think all the stores on Court Street are a good place to shop, but our store is good to shop at because we employ local people. And we have made in the USA gift items and t-shirts. We are a small family-owned business, so it's awesome to support that, as many other small businesses are on Court Street."—Amy Mangano, owner of Artifacts Gallery

Another small business on Court Street is Ohio is Home, 43 S. Court St. Heather Dota, manager of Ohio is Home, said the local elements of the store are what make it so unique.

“Our owner is actually Athens born and raised and he actually was an Ohio University student himself,” Dota said. “We do all of our apparel designs here in house. We also have a laser engraver, so we do a bunch of custom laser engraved items. And then we also do a bunch of woodworking items such as cutting boards and so forth.”

Since the store has close ties to Athens, Dota said it has a good variety of merchandise that reflects Athens and OU.

“I love our store because it's a good mix of Ohio University apparel, as well as Athens and local apparel,” Dota said. “A lot of the stores that we have in town are just sort of either plain apparel, or all OU related apparel. So it's nice if you're coming in with friends and family or just as a student, where you might not want to necessarily always rock the paw, but you want something a little different.”

For students able to travel off-campus, Kindred Market, 284 E. State St., offers locally-owned natural and organic food items to suit students’ nutritional needs.

The market, which focuses on natural items and sustainability, offers items in bulk and promotes zero-waste living. Riley Kinnard, general manager of Kindred Market, said the store is beneficial in its mission to prioritize healthy and eco-friendly lifestyles.

“This is a great place to buy groceries and buy food that you can be sure is free of any kinds of preservatives or pesticides or artificial colorings and flavorings,” Kinnard said. “You can be sure that the products that are sold in Kindred Market are ethically sourced and for the most part organic. And with smaller, local vendors, we prioritize trying to keep money in the local economy.”

Kinnard said the market aims to foster a sense of community for the students who may decide to shop there.

“We also like to think of ourselves as a community center, not just a grocery store,” Kinnard said. “We are also a place for people to come and get a good cup of coffee and a sandwich and hang out. If you're a student and you love Athens, and you want to integrate yourself into this community and you want to be a responsible consumer, then you can shop at a store like Kindred Market and be certain that you're spending your money in a way that will guarantee that.”

Mangano said a rewarding part of working at Artifacts Gallery is connecting with the local customers.

“We love having people in every day,” Mangano said. “We're open every day and we love it.”

AUTHOR: Lauren Serge
EDITOR: Riley Runnels
COPY EDITOR: Anna Garnai
ILLUSTRATION: Olivia Juenger
WEB DEVELOPMENT: Brianna Lender