Illustration by Mary Berger | Art Director

Ultimate Athens food checklist

August 24, 2021

The ultimate Athens food checklist

By Hannah Campbell | Asst. Opinion Editor

O ne of the many amazing things about Athens is the number of local restaurants within walking distance of Ohio University's campus and the incredible cuisine that they serve. Whether it’s 3 p.m. or 3 a.m., there's always something amazing to eat. From the best morning bagel to the best slice of late night pizza, here are seven local food items to add to your checklist to try:

Bagel Street Deli’s MacGyger

After a long night of studying or a hard night out, the best morning pick-me-up is a sandwich from Bagel Street Deli. The iconic MacGyger sandwich is served all day and is sure to cure anything you need to. Stuffed with avocado, mayo and your choice of cheese, the only way to make it taste even better is ordering it on a pretzel bun. It’s definitely something to brighten up your morning.

A slice from Courtside Pizza

Athens may not be as well-known for its pizza as New York City, but Courtside Pizza certainly puts it on the map. Good news: Slice Night is back on Wednesdays this year for $1 slices until close. While the slices may be cheap, the taste sure isn’t. It’s everything a great pizza should be: greasy, cheesy and big. Whether it’s a plain cheese or the new loaded Buffalo Chicken pizza, Courtside is the best around.

Souvlaki’s Cheeseballs

Open until 4 a.m., Souvlaki’s is your one-stop shop for all of your late night cravings. While their gyros and sandwiches are to die for, the most unexpected yet delicious best-seller is their cheeseballs. They are fried to perfection and can satisfy any hunger. Make sure to leave room because you cannot just have one.

North End’s Court Street Burrito

North End might be one of the newest bars on the bricks, but it’s definitely made its mark on Athens. The menu is filled with delicious Mexican options; the best being the Court Street Burrito. Stuffed with ground beef, cilantro lime rice and hot queso cheese, this tasty entree can be as hot or mild as you want it to be. A perfect meal to have and even better to be paired with a margarita.

Southern Smoker from Fry’d

Fry’d is great for when those munchies kick in, no matter what caused them to begin with. Some of the most mouthwatering options include their pre-packed bowls, with the best being the Southern Smoker. These fries topped with pulled pork, mac and cheese, fried onions and Fry’d’s special Cannabuttermilk Ranch are bound to make you want to ditch regular fast food fries altogether. Just be sure to not get too addicted to the “high” of this treat.

Breakfast Burrito from Big Momma’s

Located in the center of Court Street, Big Momma’s knows how to make an excellent meal for a college student budget. You can snag a regular burrito, chips and a drink all for $11. The menu has something for everyone, spicy or not, with the best being the Breakfast Burrito. Filled with eggs, bacon, tater tots, cheese and your choice of salsa, you can have this breakfast delight anytime of the day.

Hotdog from O’Betty’s Red Hot

This last restaurant is a classic Athens favorite. O’Betty’s is another great place for a late night stop, known for their amazing hotdogs. Pro tip: go for the Dixie ‘Hubba-Hubba’. If you’re looking for the best chili dog around, this is it. This dog has O’Betty’s homemade chili sauce, onions, cheddar cheese and mustard. It definitely should be on your list to hit first once you get (or get back) to Athens.

AUTHOR: Hannah Campbell
EDITOR: Madyson Lewellyn
COPY EDITOR: Isabel Nissley
ILLUSTRATION: Mary Berger
WEB DEVELOPMENT: Brianna Lender