welcome back cover

AUGUST 22, 2019

Back-To-School Jams

10 essential songs for your back-to-school playlist

By Madyson Lewellyn | Asst. Beat Editor

S ummer is over, bobcats. While it’s exciting to catch up with old friends and spend the days in the sun, all good things must come to an end. Love it or hate it, these songs will put you right back in school mood. Walking to class? Chilling with friends? Trying to ease the pressure? Here’s your trusty soundtrack for it all:

“Patience” by Tame Impala

The lead singer of Tame Impala, Kevin Parker, summed it up perfectly: “Has it really been that long?” Although summer break is only a few months, it’s always difficult gaining that lost sense of school motivation back. Get back into the groove of things with this feel-good track. Don’t worry, the piano chords and disco backbeat of this song will help guide you swiftly through the long hours in the library.

“Juice” by Lizzo

The person responsible for this retro-funk masterpiece? Lizzo, of course. Tailored with feel-good lyrics and groove, this song has earned its rightful place as one of the best pop songs of 2019. Spice up your morning by starting the day off with this self-empowering anthem. You’ll be skipping all the way to class.

“Under Pressure” by David Bowie and Queen

As the quizzes, exams and projects start piling up, the weight of the world might feel on your shoulders. David Bowie and Freddie Mercury overlay the stuttery beat of this track with lyrics that speak about the stresses of life itself. Pause, take a deep breath and throw on this classic to help soothe the pressure that may soon accumulate.

“Just Us” by DJ Khaled and SZA

DJ Khalid and SZA blessed everyone with this catchy song of the summer. As we merge into another school year, this is the perfect track to reminisce upon all the memories of the season a little bit longer.

“Here” by Alessia Cara

Despite all the college stereotypes, not every student loves the raging party scene. Through her introspective voice, Alessia Cara perfectly captures the perspective of all wallflowers who would rather “Kick it and just listen to some music with a message.” Next time social anxiety creeps up, calm the nerves with this tune.

“Goodie Bag” by Still Woozy

It music was medicinal, this honeyed track would be the cure for all. The soothing beat strikes the perfect chord between acoustic and electronic — making it the perfect song to unwind and relax with after the end of a long day.

“UCLA” by RL Grime

Need a boost? Skip the coffee, and cue this EDM anthem that has all the electric beats to get your energy racing. As Friday approaches, ring in the weekend the right way with this crowd-pleaser that never disappoints.

“Dreams” by Fleetwood Mac

Most impactful songs are able to defy the laws of time and remain relevant for decades. After 42 years, “Dreams” is certainly one of them. While walking to class, bliss out to the enchantment of Stevie Nicks’ voice that is as gentle as the wind in the sky.

“Sunday Best” by Surfaces

Sunday: the perfect day to map out the rest of the week to set yourself up for success. However, this simple task can be extremely daunting after a long, relaxing weekend of procrastination. Cure all the “Sunday Scaries” with this uplifting track that will get you not only inspired but out of bed.

“Love Myself” by Olivia O’Brien

It can be unnerving to live in a world with so many social expectations regarding image and fitting into the crowd. Olivia O’Brien delivers a mantra based upon dismissing the opinion of others and living authentically. Confidence is all about self-love, and this song delivers just that.

mixtape

RILEY SCOTT | ART DIRECTOR

AUTHOR: Madyson Lewellyn
EDITOR: Molly Schramm
COPY EDITOR: Bre Offenberger
ILLUSTRATIONS: Riley Scott
WEB DEVELOPMENT: Midge Mazur