Mischeif managed

8/23/2018

Mischief Managed: ‘Harry Potter’ is a great conversation starter for college

Georgia Davis / Blogs Editor

People meet many new people throughout their college experience, whether you are a freshman or a senior. And when you meet a new person, it is important to ask the important questions like, “Do you like Harry Potter?

Those who say, “Eh, it’s all right,” are not the people someone who loves Harry Potter wants to have a butterbeer with. But if they say, “Uh, who doesn’t like Harry Potter?” then that’s the person you want to make friends with, especially if you’re a Potterhead.

That simple, meaningful question can spark a whole conversation that will lead to more questions. Whether you are the one asking or answering the questions, here are the Qs you might encounter when talking to a Potterhead for the first time:

What’s your house?

A person’s house says a lot about their character. Slytherins are proud of their house, and they should be. Not all Slytherins are bad people. They’re just ambitious and will stop at nothing to get what they want.

The cool house to be in is Hufflepuff. Everyone will say they are a Hufflepuff because they want to seem cool and relaxed. Don’t believe them. True Hufflepuffs are a rare breed, and they are the most loyal people you will meet.

Ravenclaws are smart and cunning. They are the ones who will think up the biggest and best pranks all while getting As on their exams. Ravenclaws are impressive, and you always want to have one in your friend group.

Rarely will you hear anyone exclaim that they are a Gryffindor. It’s not cool anymore. The Harry Potter movies have been out for more than a decade and people are no longer interested in being a part of the bravest house. You will encounter them, though. They are the ones who want to venture into the The Ridges late at night.

Potterheads often talk about morphed houses. Those are combinations between two Harry Potter houses. In fact, the person writing this if a Gryffinpuff: a cross between Gryffindor and Hufflepuff. Take that as you will.

Who’s your favorite character?

Those who say Harry is their favorite character is using that as a cop out. Fans are stuck in Harry’s head for seven books and eight movies — nobody really likes him. Hermione is another person that everyone likes. It’s not as bad as liking Harry, but it’s up there. Ron is the most underrated from the Golden Trio. Anyone who says he is the best out of the three is a loyal friend. Sure, Ron has his downsides (like his unrelenting jealousy and search for fame), but so do Harry and Hermione.

The secondary characters is what really shows what a person is like. People empathize with the misunderstood Luna Lovegood. Neville Longbottom is the loveable underdog. Ginny Weasley is a fierce woman with sassy comebacks. Those who chose Draco are the people who understand the complexities of life. Long story short: if a person says any of the supporting characters are their favorite, they are a true Harry Potter fan.

Do you prefer the books or the movies?

If someone says the movies, don’t trust them. End of story.

Which one is your favorite?

Like the characters, people’s favorite installment of the series says a great deal. Those who say Sorcerer’s Stone is the best long for nostalgic moments and love to relive the innocent times in life. Chamber of Secrets is when the series starts to pick up, so people who love this one are in it for the story. The same can be said for Prisoner of Azkaban, which is the only one that doesn’t feature Voldemort.

Goblet of Fire is all about sports, so athletic people tend to love it. But Goblet of Fire is also the beginning of the end. The climax is presented with the spare Cedric Diggory dying at the command of the Dark Lord. Order of The Phoenix is a long-winded installment, and only truly loyal Potterheads say this is their favorite.

Half-Blood Prince is one of the best in the series. The end is near, and those truly invested in the outcome are going to say this is their favorite. Deathly Hallows is shrouded in callbacks to the other books, but it also furthers the story past Harry’s generation. This is where Grindelwald is mentioned, and when people start doubting Dumbledore’s motives in the previous books. Those who recognize those aspects of the series are the ones who understand the depths of anything.

So here’s the bottom line: be prepared to talk about Harry Potter in college. Almost everyone will have opinions that can show you a lot about them as a person.

Development by: Megan Knapp / Digital Production Editor