Back to School Fashion

8/23/2018

11 pieces to grab on your back-to-school shopping trip

Alexis Eichelberger / Culture Editor

The best part of going to back to campus is, of course, back-to-school shopping. Each year, a few pieces become must-haves for the fall, whether they’re for going to class, relaxing on the weekend, or glamming up for a night out. Here are 11 pieces to be sure to include in your back-to-school wardrobe this year:

descutner

(Alex Driehaus | PHOTO ILLUSTRATION)

Thigh-high boots

Take a page from Ariana Grande’s book and invest in a solid pair of thigh-high boots in a neutral shade. They take any outfit from classroom to night-out material, from an oversized hoodie to a mini skirt and crop top.

Denim jackets

With the return of the ‘90s grunge style, denim jackets have made their comeback for both men and women. Whether you prefer oversized or cropped and embroidered, they’re the perfect accessory to throw on for your early morning walks to class or late night walks home from drinks with friends.

Two-piece sets

Two-piece sets are totally on trend, and it’s obvious why. Take the work out of digging through your closet to find tops and bottoms that match, and find a two-piece set in a fun pattern like checkers or a bright solid.

Silk or chambray shorts

For those lazy days in class, elevate your campus style with a pair of stylish shorts. They’ll be as comfortable as your Nike runners, but with a much more polished look, and they can just as easily be dressed up as they are dressed down.

Fun-colored or patterned blazers

An essential to keep in your dorm or apartment closet is a blazer for class presentations, job and internship interviews, Greek functions and more. Buying one in an exciting color or pattern will make your business casual look a little much more fun while keeping it classy. And guys — this goes for you, too. Ditching your staple (and boring) plain black for something just a little snazzier like a bold solid or a subtle paisley or stripe pattern will surely make you stand out from the crowd.

Bodysuits

Bodysuits have been a lasting trend, and they seem to be worth the struggle of getting them on and off. They’re another piece that look great dressed up and down. Pair them with high-waisted jeans and stylish sandals for class and then swap those for a skirt and strappy heels for a night out.

T-shirt dress

T-shirt dresses are an easy way to look more put together than you might feel. They’re a great piece for keeping cool and comfy in classrooms and look great paired with your favorited sneakers.

Cropped hoodie

Take advantage of the popularity of athleisure and cop a cropped hoodie from your favorite athletic-wear brand like Adidas or Nike. It’ll keep you cozy and cute, whether you’re on your way to a workout or out for Sunday brunch.

Tube tops

Tube tops are another blast from the past, but a solid-colored one can go a long way. Show off your summer tan in white and accessorize with a choker to channel major Instagram-model energy.

Gold hoops

Speaking of accessories, another easy way to elevate any look is to add a simple pair of gold hoops. The bigger the better.

Lacy bralettes

Add a soft, sexy touch to plain tees and tanks by letting a lacy bralette show around your collar bones. Fun colors like deep red can add a pretty, feminine touch to your favorite basics.

Development by: Megan Knapp / Digital Production Editor