Anthony Warner

Where to Hammock Around Campus

05.28.20

4 of the best places to hammock around campus

Madyson Lewellyn | The Beat Editor

Once the weather makes way for clearer and warmer skies, Bobcats love to break out their hammocks all around campus. A trusty hammock is one of the student essentials they forget to cover at Bobcat Student Orientation. Ohio University is overlaid with plenty of greenery that make the perfect spots to “hang” with friends or “hang” solo. The beauty of hammocking is the versatility of its uses: the perfect pastime, a fun activity to do with friends and a great way to give oneself a mental break. Luckily, we have plenty of beautiful places around campus to “hang.” Here are 4 of the best places to hammock at Ohio University:

When you want to read or hangout with friends: College Green

It’s a beautiful day. The sun is shining, and class is finally over. What better way to spend the rest of the day than swinging with your friends? Right in front of Alden Library, College Green is the perfect place to hammock with your friends, as it usually is a high traffic area of people going to and from class. Odds are, you are bound to come into contact with other people you know, so be in the mood to socialize if you’re staking up at College Green. If it happens to be too crowded for your liking, check out the trees next to Voigt Hall for a more low-key hangout.

When you want to be alone: Emeriti Park

Sometimes the stresses of college catch up to us. It happens to everyone eventually. The most important thing to do in these moments is to give yourself a mental break. Located on South Green Drive, Emeriti Park is the perfect atmosphere to ground your mind and connect back with yourself. Try to avoid distractions and be present, the pond and floral scene will be captivating enough.

When you want to listen to music: South Green (Behind Nelson Court)

If you’re looking to relax and listen to music, South Green is the spot for you. Behind Nelson Court are areas with trees perfectly placed for hammocking. It is fairly quiet on the green and is easy to get away with a small music speaker, at a reasonable volume of course. There are also some large trees that allow hammocks to be stacked -- making it another great spot on campus to bring friends to tag along.

When you want to get homework done: Bicentennial Park

Bicentennial Park is a part of campus that people aren’t familiar with, until they have a class in Walter Hall that is. The large green area is located in between the Convocation Center and Walter Hall. Similar to South Green, the park has trees that are perfectly placed for your hammocking pleasure. If you are looking to get some work done but don’t want to waste a beautiful day inside, then Bicentennial Park is your go-to. The area is isolated and is often quite a low traffic area -- making it the ideal spot to focus and get some assignments done. If you happen to have a class at Walter Hall, all the better.

descutner

Olivia Juenger | FOR THE POST

Back
AUTHOR: Madyson Lewellyn
EDITOR: Emma Dollenmayer
COPY EDITOR: Anna Garnai
PHOTO: Anthony Warner
ILLUSTRATION: Olivia Juenger
WEB DEVELOPMENT: Brianna Lender