Emma Dengler

Dorm-Friendly Snack Ideas

05.28.20

6 healthy snack ideas that can be made in a dorm

Maddie Bussert | For The Post

Dining hall food can be either as healthy or as unhealthy as you make it. With an endless supply of processed, ready-to-eat food right at your fingertips, it’s easy to pick convenience over health.

Here’s a list of six healthy snacks that can be made in a dorm room:

DIY stir fry

Staple foods, like rice, can be a perfect base for a healthy snack or dinner that can be easily made in a dorm. All you need to do is cook minute rice in the microwave, add whatever steamed veggies you like, and top it off with some soy sauce. Add any additional seasonings you want, and it’s the perfect five-minute dinner for anyone wanting a quick and healthy meal.

Oatmeal

With the right toppings, oatmeal can be a delicious way to get in some whole grains. Mix whole grain oats with water and cook in the microwave for 1-2 minutes. Top it with milk, peanut butter, cinnamon, fresh fruit, or whatever else you have for a balanced, healthy meal.

Chocolate hummus

It’s the perfect healthier modification for anyone who loves chocolate without the guilt. Grab the chocolate hummus sold at Boyd and Jefferson market and dip some strawberries in it, or dip pretzels in it for a salty but sweet combo. Sweet tooth = cured.

Boyd smoothie

A smoothie from Boyd market is one of the best healthy options when you’re on the go, or just needing a quick snack. Add a pastry and fruit for one swipe to keep you full for a few hours.

Chips and guacamole/salsa

Chips and salsa is the staple snack that every college student needs in their dorm. Choose multigrain chips for a healthier option. Add salsa and pre-packaged guacamole from the market or make your own by smashing up a few avocados.

Rice cakes

Rice cakes are a low-calorie staple food that can satisfy a craving for either savory or sweet foods. Add peanut butter and jelly for a lower calorie version of PB&J, or avocado for a savory twist.

Back
AUTHOR: Maddie Bussert
EDITOR: Madyson Lewellyn
COPY EDITOR: Katey Kruback
ILLUSTRATION: Emma Dengler
WEB DEVELOPMENT: Brianna Lender