Nate Swanson

Comebacks and Come Ups

05.28.20

The five best Bobcat sports moments from 2019-2020

Jack Gleckler | Sports Editor

With a new year on the horizon, The Post wanted to take a look back at a handful of the best moments in Ohio athletics from the last year. In no particular order, here are five highlights from 2019-2020:

Football: Ohio wins the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl

If there’s one thing Frank Solich can do for Ohio, it’s win bowl games.

After a shaky 6-6 regular season, the Bobcats were still able to make a bowl appearance in Boise, Idaho in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.

Although not having played a game in over a month, the Bobcats showed they still had gas in the tank by taking an early 11 point lead. Even when Nevada managed a rally in the fourth quarter, Ohio held on for the 30-21 victory. Quarterback Nathan Rourke, who was voted MVP in the Potato Bowl, finished 9-for-17 with 144 passing yards and 87 yards on 10 carries.

Ohio’s win in the Potato Bowl marked its third consecutive bowl win, a first in program history.

descutner

Anthony Warner | FOR THE POST

Ohio University football coach Frank Solich enters the field with the Ohio football team before the game versus Miami on Wednesday, November 6, 2019, at Peden Stadium.

Men’s Basketball: Ohio’s 67-65 win over Miami

Ohio had plenty of growing pains last season with a new head coach and a young roster that needed to mature quickly. As the Bobcats prepared for their final game of the regular season against Miami, their hopes for a home game in the first round of the Mid-American Conference Tournament hung in the balance.

Ohio got their game in the Convo. A stellar fourth-quarter performance by Jason Preston lifted the Bobcats enough to tie the game with less than two minutes left. Freshman Miles Brown set the Bobcats victory in stone with a putback.

Ohio’s victory over Miami encapsulated the young team’s growth from the beginning of the year to the MAC Tournament

descutner

Anthony Warner | FOR THE POST

Ohio’s Ben Vander Plas drives past Miami’s Nike Sibande during the Ohio versus Miami match in The Convocation Center on Saturday, Feb. 8, 2020. The Bobcats won the game 77-46.

Volleyball: Lizzie Stephens’ service ace to beat Akron.

Stephens’ ace secured not only the Bobcats’ victory over the Zips, but also earned Ohio the No. 5 seed in the MAC Tournament and a winning conference record.

Stephens was absent from the roster for over a month, but her dominance returned as soon as she did. She has the sixth-most service aces in program history and led the MAC in service aces per set leading up to the match against Akron.

descutner

Nate Swanson | FOR THE POST

Ohio's outside hitter Lizzie Stephens (No. 3) reaches for the ball in a match against Akron held at The Convo on Nov. 16, 2019.

Hockey: Mason Koster’s near shutout of Lindenwood

Koster was strictly a backup goalie for much of last season until he was thrust into a starting position.

Midway through the season, starter Jimmy Thomas was temporarily suspended due to a fight with a player from Calvin. Koster had to start during one of the most important series of Ohio’s season, an away series against Lindenwood

The second game in the series proved to be one of Koster's best performances of his career. Koster made 47 saves on 49 shots against a Lindenwood offense that was considered among the best in the American Collegiate Hockey Association.

descutner

Jesse Jarrold-Grapes | FOR THE POST

Ohio goalie Mason Koster (31) makes a stop against Calvin. Koster got some ice time after Sr. Jimmy Thomas was ejected from the 4-3 loss against Calvin in Bird Arena on Saturday, Jan. 18, 2020.

Field Hockey: Ohio’s four-goal comeback against Appalachian State

In her second season as head coach Ali Johnstone breathed new life into a program that hadn’t had a winning season since 2011.

Perhaps the Bobcats most memorable win in 2019 came thanks to a 6-5 comeback against Appalachian State on September 20. Down 5-2 with less than three minutes left in regulation, the Bobcats rallied three quick goals to force the game into overtime at the very least.

That was until Ohio drew a penalty corner and a set up by Emma Spinetto gave Leah Warren the opening she needed to seal the win for the Bobcats. It was an early season win for the Bobcats, but easily their most memorable match of the 2019 season.

descutner

Hannah Ruhoff | FOR THE POST

Ohio's Emma Spinetto maneuvers the ball away from Longwood's Caroline Verhappen during the game against Longwood on Oct. 5, 2019 at Pruitt Field.

Back
AUTHOR: Jack Gleckler
EDITOR: J.L. Kirven
COPY EDITOR: Anna Garnai
PHOTO: Nate Swanson, Anthony Warner, Jessee Jarrold-Grapes, Anthony Warner, Hannah Ruhoff
WEB DEVELOPMENT: Brianna Lender