Olivia Juenger

Bobcat Clothing Essentials

05.28.20

9 college clothing essentials for fall semester

Emma Dollenmayer | Asst. Beat Editor

I Bobcats, Fall Semester is approaching, which means so is packing for the chillier months. Most freshmen are probably wondering “What do I possibly pack?” And we know, the options are endless. All upperclassmen have presumably been in the position where they begin to unpack into their dorm only to realize they have brought an absurd amount of impractical clothing with nowhere to put it. To ensure our Bobkittens are bundling the most relevant clothing, we have assembled a detailed list on what nine items should be brought and what should be left at home:

Sweats and Leggings

It may seem as if everyone keeps preaching about how no one dresses up for class, but truly nobody does. In highschool, it was undeniably cool to show up on the first day of classes in a brand new, neat outfit, but in college — it’s simply not. Don’t be the freshman who shows up in a skirt or even jeans. Sticking to athletic shorts, joggers, soccer pants and leggings is the obvious move. You will ultimately be more comfortable while sitting through long lectures, and the truth is, no one really cares what you look like anyway. The number of students who have probably never worn jeans or anything but different variations of sweats has to be off the charts. Save your jeans for the weekend because we promise, it’s the only time you’ll wear them.

View this post on Instagram

Giveaway There’s still a chance to enter to win a whole new legging wardrobe! Keep the positive vibes flowing by sharing your mantra for the week below. You’ll be entered to win $1,000 worth of our best-selling leggings (we're talking Mila, Trinity, SculptKnit, Oasis, and so many more!!). How to Enter: 1. Tag a friend 2. Share the positive mantra that’s keeping your spirits high this week (include #sweepstakes with your entry) Stay tuned for more chances to enter to win! US & CA only. Ends at 11:59 pm PST on 3/23/20. Prize value is approximately $250. No purchase necessary. 5 winners will be notified by 3/24/20.

A post shared by Fabletics (@fabletics) on

Oversized Hoodies and T-shirts

While the beginning months of Fall Semester can be scorchingly hot, the following few can become cold within the blink of an eye. Due to this, it is important to have an equal number of hoodies and t-shirts. We recommend buying these items oversized because they are chic and comfy. When lecture halls like Morton are cold, pulling a T-shirt over your knees or tucking your arms into a hoodie, can be extremely valuable. Although we said looking cute for class didn’t matter, one can still look adorable without seeming as if they are trying too hard while wearing an oversized tee or hoodie. They are not only perfect for class, but for an informal night out on Court Street.

View this post on Instagram

Your playlist in sweatshirt form, courtesy of @UrbanOutfittersMens. Shop at the link in bio.

A post shared by Urban Outfitters (@urbanoutfitters) on

OU Gear

Every freshman needs at least one Ohio University shirt (or jacket, sweatshirt, beanie, etc.) OU merch is a great option for class and special events. As far as special events go, Ohio University’s annual Homecoming basically requires one to deck out in green and white to show their Bobcat pride. Students become very innovative by cropping, bleaching and cutting shirts for the fun-filled, festive weekend. Head over to the College Book Store’s website and support Athens’ local businesses during the pandemic by purchasing your homecoming outfits early.

View this post on Instagram

#Deals

A post shared by UniversiTEES @ Ohio University (@uteesathens) on

Rain Boots

Having weather appropriate clothing is essential when attending school in Ohio. Surprisingly, it is not always sunny in Athens, so owning a quality pair of rain boots will come in handy when trying to avoid puddles throughout College Green.

View this post on Instagram

Rain starts PLAY. Slip on our ultra-comfortable, 100% waterproof best-selling PLAY boots to stay dry in a downpour. #HunterOriginal

A post shared by Hunter Boots (@hunterboots) on

Sneakers

Ohio University’s campus is definitely a workout — a lesson all freshmen will learn after the first week of classes. With both Morton and Jeff hills being massive, having a solid pair of walking/tennis shoes will be a game-changer. They also come in handy when going on a run or when taking a visit to Ping Recreation Center, although, with all the walking you will do in-between classes, a gym visit isn’t always necessary.

View this post on Instagram

Push the boundaries of style, shop #FALCON footwear now at adidas.com/Falcon/ and adidas stores.

A post shared by adidas Originals (at 🏡) (@adidasoriginals) on

Teddy Coats

If you don’t have a teddy coat already, tell your mom, your dad, your grandma, your dog, whoever — that it is a need and NOT a want. Teddy coats are perfect for every occasion. We repeat, EVERY, occasion. Cold day for class? Wear a teddy coat. Have a date party, but it’s too frigid to wear only a dress? Wear a teddy coat. Going out and don’t want to wear your parka? The answer? You guessed it. Wear. A. Teddy. Coat. Enough said.

View this post on Instagram

Proof I left the house today. And then I went right back inside. Exciting times over here!

A post shared by Tieka Ellis (@selectivepotential) on

Birkenstocks

Birkenstocks are one of those things that after living the college life, you question how you ever lived without them. They are convenient in the sense that they are easy to slip on to run to the communal bathroom or to let a friend inside the dorm. They are also suitable for class whether worn with socks or not.

View this post on Instagram

Daily dose of comfort, now in vegan styles.

A post shared by Birkenstock (@birkenstock) on

Dresses/Suits

Packing a dress or suit may not seem obvious, but odds are, most freshmen will need one for at least one occasion. Dresses and suits are important to store in the back of the closet for a pop-up fraternity/sorority date party, an award ceremony, a job interview, or for our Scripps students — reporting on the air.

View this post on Instagram

Every time I’m blown away with you and your performance and love for what you do. So proud of us Camilita !! X

A post shared by Shawn Mendes (@shawnmendes) on

Cute, Casual Clothing

Lastly, the jeans freshmen have been dying to put to use are ready to shine. Grab a handful of saucy tops, frilly skirts and your favorite pair of skinny jeans because weekends in Athens are nearing.

View this post on Instagram

The New Friday @lianatambini starting the weekend right in the Shape Sand Ribbed Long Sleeve Ruched Front Crop Top Search CMK2088 to shop What's everyone doing at home this weekend?

A post shared by FASHION • BEAUTY • LIFESTYLE (@prettylittlething) on

Back
AUTHOR: Emma Dollenmayer
EDITOR: Madyson Lewellyn
COPY EDITOR: Katey Kruback
ILLUSTRATION: Olivia Juenger
WEB DEVELOPMENT: Brianna Lender