Riley Scott

Transportation Options for First-Year Students

05.30.19

Getting around town freshman year

Keri Johnson / For The Post

The transition from home to college can be quite challenging.

But Athens is the ideal place to make the adjustment into college life. Most services a student might need are within walking distance, with each part of campus has a market. If all else fails, students can make the journey past Baker Center to get what they need.

Though most needs can be met on Court Street, sometimes there is a need to escape Uptown.

Getting to East State

A major concern for a lot of freshmen is getting groceries or clothing. These can be found in abundance on East State Street.

Stores like Walmart, Kroger, Save-a-Lot, an upcoming Marshall’s, and many different restaurants can be found on East State.

East State Street is about an hour walk down the bike path. One option of getting there, and the cheapest, is taking Athens Public Transit.

“I would go to Walmart every couple weeks to get groceries,” Sarah Jager, a sophomore studying music education, said.

Athens Public Transit allows students to ride and transport for free, using their student ID as a Bobcat Pass.

descutner

ILLUSTRATION | MEGAN BOMAR

Jager would use the DoubleMap app, an online bus tracking service that tracks buses in real time for times and stops.

“It’s pretty easy to figure out,” she said. “You look online and find your time and stop.”

Compared with other options, taking Athens Public Transit feels like the safest and most effective way to get around, Jager said.

“I definitely prefer taking the bus,” she said.

Late nights

CATS Late Night is a late night shuttle service any student can utilize on weeknights and Saturdays.

Students can call or text the service Monday through Friday 5:30 p.m. - 3 a.m, Saturday and Sunday 9:30 p.m. - 3 a.m.

Deedee Grantham, a freshman studying social work, frequently uses CATS Late Night.

“I use it least twice a week, if not four times,” Grantham said.

CATS Late Night makes for a safe, free option for students to go.

“It’s really convenient to get to South Green because that’s where all my friends live,” Grantham said. “I live on West Green and there’s not really well lit paths between the two, and I don’t really like walking alone.”

Far away places

Most university-provided transportation services within a 1-mile driving distance of Baker University Center. Other options for transportation include the GoBus.

GoBuses offer daily trips to seven days a week, every day of the year. GoBus goes to major cities in Ohio including Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati.

Grantham frequently uses GoBus, too.

“In the past month, I’ve gone home three different times,” Grantham said. “Every time I’ve gone on a GoBus.”

Grantham lives in Bexley, Ohio, a suburb of Columbus.

“I like it. It’s not a bad ride at all,” Grantham said. “It’s only a little longer than a car ride.”

GoBuses are a very common mode of transportation for a weekend getaway to home or elsewhere.

“Only issue is going home on bigger weekends, and you have to buy tickets in advance.”

Go where you wanna go

Other options for students include ZipCars, Lyfts, and Accessible Transit Service (CATCAB). CATCABS accomodate students and faculty with mobility limitations.

A daily campus shuttle service, Campus Area Transit Service (CATS). CATS runs Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. There are two 10-minute loops and one 20-minute loop. No ID is needed to ride in a CATS shuttle, all provide accessibility accommodations and are available to track on the Double Map App as well.

Back

Development by: Mijana Mazur / Web Development Director

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.