RILEY SCOTT

Songs to Walk to Class To

05.30.19

The 7 best songs to listen to while walking to class

Bre Offenberger / Copy Chief

Music has the power to influence how we live out each day, and there seems to be a song for every mood. Because of that notion and the ultimate power music has, you’re bound to notice the countless students with headphones in as you walk to class on your first day of college.

The music you listen to can set the tone for how your first days at Ohio University pan out, so here is a playlist full of the perfect songs to listen to while walking to class.

When you know it’s going to be a good day: “Don’t Stop Me Now” by Queen

Waking up in a inexplicably good mood is one of the best feelings in the world, and “Don’t Stop Me Now” is the embodiment of that. Queen’s illustrious masterpiece is an energy-infused banger about how no one can bring you down from the high you’re experiencing. It’s a great track to listen to on your first walk to class because it’ll remind you of the greatness of college and the incredible opportunities its guaranteed to provide.

When you’re late for class: “Run for Your Life” by The Fray

Everyone oversleeps sometimes — it’s inevitable. There are times, though, where missing class is simply not an option, and this is the song to turn on in that situation. The song is actually about a sister who survives an accident and her twin doesn’t, but if you envision someone you love singing it to you, it’s so accurate for when you’re frantically sprinting to class: “Run for your life, my love / Run and you don’t give up.” It’s a sentimental yet fiery song, and it’ll help you find the energy you need to make it to class on time.

When you’re feeling nostalgic: “The Great Escape” by Boys Like Girls

We all remember the inexplicable happiness we would instantly feel as a preteen when this song would come on. As the days go on and you realize you’re edging toward becoming an adult, we can’t help but reminisce on our childhood. “The Great Escape,” for many, was the epitome of that. The pop-rock vibes and explosive energy will give us a glimpse into what has passed and will provide us the vigor we need for what is to come.

descutner

ILLUSTRATION | RILEY SCOTT

When you leave an exam thinking you didn’t do too well: “The Lining Is Silver” by Relient K

There’s always going to be at least one exam that makes you feel like the end of the world is near. The world never does actually cease because of it, but if you need another reminder, this uplifting jam from the Canton-based band is there for you. The chorus is simple yet moving: “Isn’t it nice to know that the lining is silver? / Isn’t it nice to know that we’re golden?” It’s a lovely refresher of how the exam won’t matter soon enough and good things are ahead.

When you need pumped up for an exam: “Ready to Go (Get Me out of My Mind)” by Panic! At The Disco

It’s not easy to be elated over exams unless you’re 110 percent confident, and Panic! At The Disco’s lively instrumentation with frontman Brendon Urie’s passionate vocals have got you covered. With lyrics such as “So tell me right now: I think you’re ready for it... / I’m ready to go,” how could you not walk into that classroom with more self-assurance?

When you just want to vibe: “Menswear” by The 1975

The first half of the track is just a groovy synth loop, and no one is complaining. It transitions into frontman Matty Healy’s synopsis of his time at a wedding, but the overall nature of the track, despite the random theme, is infectious. It’s the perfect song to play for any mood, whether you want to reflect or just jam out.

When it’s finals week: “breathin” by Ariana Grande

Finals week is the dreaded part of the year that is detrimental to the mental health of many. Luckily, music can be a source of relief during this time, and the pop sensation’s hit “breathin” is a reminder that you will undoubtedly survive it. Make sure to turn this on during your trek to your finals, and remember to “just keep breathin’ and breathin’ and breathin’ and breathin’.”

Back

Development by: Mijana Mazur / Web Development Director