Riley Scott

Sober Fun

05.30.19

Sober activities around campus students can take advantage of

Jada Sonnenberg / For The Post

Ohio University cultivated a strong culture of drinking and partying that it has yet to fully tame. However, there are creative and fun alternatives to the Uptown hype.

Students have the opportunity to explore events around campus that are alternatives to partying. OU offers students the chance to experience activities that involve not just the university but the culture of Athens as well.

Housing and Residence life hosts OHIO Late Nights every Saturday during the school year in the Living Learning Center on South Green at 9 p.m. During this free event, they offer a wide variety of activities for students to enjoy, such as, games, karaoke, trivia and snacks. They often have creative theme nights that students can participate in.

If one is looking for more activities outdoors, there are sand volleyball courts and basketball courts available for use on South Green. Students are always welcome to use those facilities to stay active. There are also options around Athens, such as, Strouds Run State Park,which can be used for hiking and biking.

sober

ILLUSTRATION | ASHTON NICHOLS

Events for students to attend can also be found in Front Room Coffeehouse. Some evenings the events held in Front Room are free. From Jazz Night every Tuesday, Blue Pencil Comedy on Saturdays and Open Stage Nights, there is something for everyone to enjoy.

If one is interested in the arts there are several plays, musicals, concerts and other performances scheduled throughout the year at the Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium. Some of the performances booked in the past school year included the musical, “The Sound of Music,” country music singer Josh Turner, comedian Demetri Martin and the Columbus Symphony Orchestra.

Another option for sober bobcats is Marti and Stewie Craft Night. Every Thursday starting at 9 p.m. in West 82 on the first floor of Baker University Center students are invited to participate in a fun craft.

Grace Miller, a senior studying communications, helps run Marti and Stewie Craft Nights, and often participates in the activities herself. Miller enjoys hanging out with friends, going to the Athena Cinema and catching OU Black Sheep Improv shows.

“Craft Night offers students something really fun and free to do. It’s a great opportunity because we have a lot of resources that students may not be able to afford on their own,” Miller said. “They’re able to come here for free and create fun crafts which generates creativity.”

Don’t worry about what other people are doing. If you’re having fun, then you’re having fun.-Kayla Rosengarten

The weekly craft night offers different crafts for students to choose from. Miller and her friends have created canvas paintings, pop-up photo keepers, personalized desk organizers and more.

Miller said she recommends getting involved in organizations in order to meet new people and find out how to have fun in your own way.

Maddie Kamody, a sophomore who is currently undecided, has attended multiple Marti and Stewie Craft Nights and thinks it is a great event.

“It’s a fun thing to do when you have class in the morning and you can’t go out and you need something fun to do,” Kamody said.

Kayla Rosengarten, a senior studying communications, likes to do volunteer work with her church and participates in six different student organizations on campus.

“A lot of people have different interests,” Rosengarten said. “I know a lot of people who come to (Marti and Stewie Craft Nights) like painting and putting together crafts with their hands. It’s not only a stress reliever but it also follows along with people's interests, and is something fun to do with their friends. There are definitely things to do around Athens if you are looking for them.”

The party culture at OU might seem intimidating to incoming freshmen but Rosengarten said the university offers many alternatives that make it easy not to give in to the pressures of drinking.

“Don’t worry about what other people are doing,” Rosengarten said. “If you’re having fun, then you’re having fun.”

Back

Development by: Mijana Mazur / Web Development Director

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.