Where to Work

05.31.18

Campus jobs and where to find them

Flannery Jewell / For The Post

College is a lot of things, but it’s not always cheap.

In addition to classes, many Ohio University students choose to take on part-time jobs. OU offers a variety of jobs with flexible hours so students can earn some extra cash before, after or in between classes.

Culinary Services hires many students each academic year and not just to work in the dining halls. Students can apply to work at any of the campus markets, cafes or dining options in Baker Center, along with the three dining halls on campus.

Alex Driehaus | FOR THE POST

Max Wolff makes a Frappuccino in Front Room on Sunday, August 28, 2016. Front Room is one of many student jobs available on campus.

Isaac Pittmon, a rising junior studying finance and business analytics, works at Jefferson Market on East Green. He said he likes the relaxed atmosphere at his job.

“Right now I work six hours per week,” Pittmon said. “The hours are pretty flexible, and the people I work with are cool.”

Culinary Services isn’t the only option for students looking for an on-campus job. Students can also apply to be tour guides for the university.

The tour guides give 90-minute walking tours of campus while answering questions, describing campus facilities and sharing stories about their experience at OU, according to the Campus Involvement Center’s OrgSync page.

Hours for tour guides are also generally flexible. Natalie D’apolito is a rising junior tour guide studying journalism with a focus in strategic communication. She said she works about five hours per week but is able to work more or less depending on her schedule.

“I like being able to show off the campus and help prospective students to possibly see a future here,” D’apolito said.

While the exact dates aren’t set yet, the program will begin its hiring process at the beginning of Spring Semester 2019, Mimi Nemec, tour guide coordinator and an OU alumna who studied journalism with a focus in strategic communication, said.

Some on-campus jobs offer room for promotion. Spring Semester was Alex Raker’s fourth semester working at West 82 Food Court in Baker Center. She started as a student employee, but was promoted to a Student Leader position in April.

“A student leader has more leadership and management in the dining hall and has more responsibility,” Raker, a rising junior studying mild to moderate educational needs, said. “We have to help student employees by training and assisting them to make the day run as smoothly as possible.”

Raker works 15 hours per week. She said she loves the people she works with and that she gets a free meal every time she works.

Students can visit ohiouniversityjobs.com to view and apply for culinary and other job listings in various departments across campus.

Another option is the Program to Aid Career Exploration (PACE), a work program unique to OU. To apply, students must have completed at least 15 credits of coursework, have at least a 2.3 GPA and “demonstrate a need for earning.” PACE jobs are posted around mid-March but students can fill out the application online year round.

OU also offers Work-Study job opportunities to eligible students. Students can apply to the work-study program when they fill out the FAFSA.

Development by: Megan Knapp / Digital Production Editor