How to Make Friends

05.31.18

6 tips to making friends

Jess Umbarger / Asst. Culture Editor

College can be intimidating and a bit scary at times, especially the first couple of weeks. Here are some tips on how to make friends so college doesn’t seem as scary:

Leave your door open

Leaving your door open means you are open to new friendships. Leave it open if you are doing homework, folding laundry or even just watching Netflix. Someone walking by might love the same show and want to start a watch party.

Go to the dining halls with your hallmates

Tagging along with people in your building to grab a bite to eat is a great way to make new friends. Everyone can feel a little lonely the first few weeks, especially during meal times. Getting food with a few people can make the large dining halls seem less intimidating.

Go to Welcome Weekend events

Seth Archer | FILE

Thousands of freshman students follow the Marching 110 across the Richland bridge on their way through the involvement fair on August 24, 2014.

The university always has a lot of events going on the first few weekends. There’s the Involvement Fair, where College Green is covered in clubs looking for new members to sign up. There are also other events like Ohio Late Nights or even just walking around Uptown to get a lay of the land.

Do homework in common spaces

Working on classwork in common spaces like a residence hall’s lobby or in the courtyards can be a great way to meet new people. More than likely someone is taking the same class and will want to work together on the homework. Working in common spaces also shows you want to make friends and are open to it.

Sit next to people in class

As tempting as it may be, don’t beeline to the back few rows in a massive lecture hall. Sitting next to someone can lead to a friendship and a study buddy for hard exams and homework. It’ll also make the class seem less scary.

Be yourself

It sounds cheesy, but it’s true. Being yourself is the most important thing when making friends. Everyone’s a little frightened their first few weeks on campus, even if they have a ton of friends. Just remember to be yourself and friends will come.

Development by: Megan Knapp / Digital Production Editor