Highlights From the 2017-18 Year

05.31.18

Here are some of the top headlines from the 2017-18 academic year

Shelby Campbell / For The Post

During the 2017-18 academic year, Ohio University students saw a new, highly contested “Freedom of Expression” policy during President Duane Nellis’ first year in office. Meanwhile, former Today host and OU graduate Matt Lauer was accused of sexual harassment.

OU students saw the Hocking River at its highest in years, and an explosion on West Union Street injured a student. Here’s more information about this school years’ top headlines:

OU’s ‘Freedom of Expression’ policy

In August, OU announced its new “Freedom of Expression” policy. The policy banned protests at indoor university spaces. The announcement followed the 70 arrests made at Baker Center on Feb. 1, 2017.

Carl Fonticella | FOR THE POST

Jolana Watson, 2nd-year graduate student studying communications and development, speaks during the Y(OU) Can't Silence Dissent protest that took place on Friday, October 20, 2017.

The policy saw bipartisan opposition and was criticized by the Ohio ACLU, OU College Democrats and Republicans and an associate professor from Princeton University.

“I think that’s kind of a bipartisan fight,” Ryan Evans, the president of the OU College Republicans, said in a previous Post report about the disagreement on the policy. “There are definitely people on the left who want to protest … and that should be absolutely fine, like I said, as long as it doesn’t impede other people’s rights.”

In April, OU proposed new “Freedom of Expression” policies that would allow protests in Baker Center atrium spaces, empty classrooms, reservable conference rooms and meeting rooms in Baker Center when participants “are permitted to be present,” according to a previous Post report.

The Hocking River flood

Hannah Schroeder | PHOTO EDITOR

Taher Ala and his two-year-old son, Ammer Ala, play in the flood water on East State Street after leaving Kroger. Despite living in Athens for years, they have never seen flooding like this on East State Street.

The Hocking River flooded more than two feet over its 20-foot stage on April 5 and forcing closure of parts of East State Street.

By 10 a.m., the river rose to 22.5 feet. The flood closed several businesses on East State Street for the day, including the Fairfield Inn & Suites and Hampton Inn.

East State Street was closed between Kroger and the OU Credit Union and between the Market on State and Cook Drive.

Matt Lauer’s termination

Students and faculty members at OU were shocked by sexual harassment allegations against Matt Lauer, who attended the university in the late ‘70s.

The former NBC news anchor was fired following allegations of sexual harassment.

More than 60 OU students interned with Today, the show Lauer co-anchored since 1997. Lauer was “instrumental” in creating the internship program, OU Spokeswoman Carly Leatherwood said in a previous Post report.

The allegations sparked action from the Scripps College of Communication, which created a task force with alumni and students to combat sexual harassment in the workplace.

“I realized that we really need to focus on making sure our students, when they’re interning, are protected,” E.W. Scripps School of Journalism Director Bob Stewart said in a previous Post report. “Because there are a lot of mechanisms that students (have) on campus for how to get support. But when students are away from campus, there aren't as many mechanisms to support them.”

West Union Street explosion

One person was injured April 15 in an explosion on West Union Street.

Part of Cycle Path Bicycles, 104 W. Union St., appeared to have crumbled in the explosion, according to a previous Post report.

Reann Lung, who lives next to Thai Paradise, said she was sitting on her bed doing homework when her window was open, and she heard a noise.

Mijana Mazurc | FOR THE POST

An explosion caused by gas occured at 104 West Union Street today. At least one injury has occured from the incident.

“I heard something, and I looked out the window (to) my left and the building was expanding — it literally collapsed,” Lung, a fifth-year mechanical engineering student, said in a previous Post report. “And then, maybe 15 seconds later, a guy came running out the window and then laid down on the roof and did not move.”

Development by: Megan Knapp / Digital Production Editor

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.