From the Editor's Desk

05.31.18

From all of us at The Post, welcome to OU

Lauren Fisher / Editor-in-Chief

Welcome to orientation. And more importantly, welcome to your new home.

In my own case, I remember freshman orientation as overwhelming, to put it lightly. The showers were too cold and claustrophobic, the salad bar at Shively seemed impressive but a bit intimidating, and the thought of staring out the window of a single dorm room alone brought tears to my eyes as I tried to fall asleep in Washington Hall. I was feeling more than a little lost.

Orientation, I’ve realized, can be a sobering time.

Don’t get me wrong — it’s the beginning of what will end up being four of the best years of your life (something your parents will never let you forget). But, it’s also a moment of clarity and realization. When mom and dad hug you goodbye and leave you alone in a room full of shiny IKEA furniture, if you’re anything like me, you’re going to be devastated. You may be thousands of miles from home, stranded in a new place full of strange faces and lofty expectations.

But I’ll let you in on a secret: it’s all going to be okay.

These tree-lined streets will become more and more familiar. You might get lost on your first day of classes, but after a week of stumbling around Seigfred, you’ll know your schedule like clockwork. The dining hall food won’t make you pine for mom’s cooking, and after a few instances of accidentally referring to Athens as “home,” you’ll actually start to mean it.

As much as it pains me to write this, your first year on campus will be my last, and to say that I’m envious of you would be an understatement. This year, and the three that follow, will fly by, and before you know it you’ll be a curmudgeonly senior like myself, writing columns to remind freshmen to “make the most of every moment.”

My hope is that The Post will be a lighthouse to guide you through your freshman year and beyond — as we have been for more than 100 years. Follow us @ThePost on Twitter, sign up for Post Haste, our daily newsletter, and make sure to grab a copy of our print edition each Thursday. We’ll be right by your side through thick and thin as the independent voice of Athens and Ohio University.

And if you ever wanna visit us, our doors in Baker 325 are open.

So buckle up for a wild ride, Bobcats. You’re going to have the time of your life.

Development by: Megan Knapp / Digital Production Editor