First Year Playlist

05.31.18

First day of classes? Here’s 7 songs to help you through it

Molly Schramm / Asst. Blogs Editor

With long walks to class and tons of studying in the future, having good music to listen to is an essential. Whether you’re lounging on College Green or waiting for class to start, it’s always good to have some tunes playing in the background. Here’s seven songs to help you through your first year of college:

“We’re Going to Be Friends” — The White Stripes

Coming to college can be intimidating. It’s a new place, and the possibility of not knowing anyone can make it all the more overwhelming. With this song, The White Stripes’ Jack White lets everyone know that making friends isn’t as hard as it seems.

“(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party!)” – Beastie Boys

It’s obvious that grades and academics are important upon going to college — but it’s also important to have fun. Featured on the Beastie Boys’ 1986 album Licensed To Ill, “Fight For Your Right” lets everyone know you can take a break from school. Whether it’s hitting up the many restaurants in Athens or just hanging in the residence halls with friends, go have fun.

“On Top Of The World” – Imagine Dragons

College equals freedom. For most students, it’s the first time they’re away from home — and it can be liberating. Relish in the newfound sense of independence and enjoy yourself. Make new friends, try new things and become your best self.

“Stronger” – Kanye West

Kanye West is actually a college dropout, but with his recent philosophical tweeting, there’s no doubt that he’s an inspiration for the first day of classes or just life in general. “Stronger” not only makes you want to sing along, but it instantly pumps you up and makes you think you can tackle the world. When the going gets tough during the school year, just remember it can only make you stronger.

Riley Scott | ILLUSTRATION

“Bodak Yellow” – Cardi B

Let’s face it: No college student is rolling in money. Though they can’t necessarily spend money on the luxurious things in life, they can live vicariously through Cardi B. Cardi B rose from her days of stripping to stardom. Now, as she so eloquently puts it in “Bodak Yellow,” she doesn’t dance, she makes money moves. Let’s all aspire to be as financially stable as Cardi B one day.

“I Will Survive” – Gloria Gaynor

It’s inevitable that at some point in a college student’s career, they say they can’t do it. The urge to give up is right there, and it may seem appealing, but Gloria Gaynor is here to save the day. At first you may be afraid, or you may even be petrified, but don’t worry. You will survive.

“Homegrown” – Zac Brown Band

Though you freshman are just beginning to live in Athens, both OU and the town will quickly grow on you. It’s a home away from home. Between the people, the food and the atmosphere, you’ll learn to appreciate the small town and the time you get to spend here. Soak it all in, because before you know it, you’ll be celebrating your graduation.

Development by: Megan Knapp / Digital Production Editor