Duane’s Desk / From Cutler Hall

05.31.18

Welcome, from OU’s President

President M. Duane Nellis

On behalf of the faculty, staff, and administration of Ohio University, we hope you have a wonderful experience on campus this summer and once school is back in session.

For some of you, this will be your first time away from home. For others, Athens is a familiar place that you lovingly call home. Get to know your campus. Explore your community. Meet new people. Your time here will be more special if you take full advantage of the academic and cultural opportunities presented to you by Ohio University and the Appalachian region.

Throughout the course of my career I have lived around the world and interacted with people of all nationalities, cultures, religions, sexual orientations, and socio-economic statuses. Growing up in a small town in the northwest U.S., I could never have imagined all the people I would meet in my life’s journey, but I know that I have been deeply influenced by these experiences. We can all learn so much from each other if we are only willing to listen and seek to understand.

As we look to the year ahead, we will be starting a new lecture series called OHIO Challenging Dialogues on Contemporary Issues, where we will bring in experts to engage in conversations surrounding the biggest concerns facing our nation and our world. We will also begin work on helping to tackle the opioid crisis that threatens our region. Through the formation of the Opioid Task Force, we can combat this epidemic in a concerted, coordinated manner and leverage our collective expertise to save lives and enact real change toward the betterment of our region.

Ohio University and its students, faculty, and staff, have the ability to make a difference in the lives of many. The time to act is now, no matter what challenges or barriers we encounter. As an institution of teaching, learning, research, and service, we have an obligation to future generations, and you now share that responsibility.

I wish you all the best as we embark on another academic year, and I will look forward to seeing more of you as I am walking around campus.

Take care of yourselves and each other and Go Bobcats!

Development by: Megan Knapp / Digital Production Editor