Alcohol Alternatives

05.31.18

There’s more to Athens than Uptown

Jess Umbarger / Asst. Culture Editor

There may be a stigma surrounding Ohio University and the drinking culture, but there are more things to do than people think.

There is a club, Hangovers Suck, that hosts events specifically to attend sober. Its goal is to make a space for students who don’t have an interest in drinking and want a fun alternative. The university also hosts OHIO Late Nights every Saturday of the school year. The events include trivia and karaoke.

Anabella Gonzalez, a rising sophomore studying psychology, attends Marti and Stewie Craft Nights that are hosted by OU. Craft nights are Thursday nights in Baker University Center and are free to students.

“It’s a nice activity to do with friends,” Gonzalez said. “It’s a great way to relax from the daily stressors of college.”

Gonzalez has made friendship bracelets, painted gardening pots and created a canvas with OU lettering. She has also gone to OHIO Late Nights with her friends.

“Craft nights and (OHIO Late Nights) give people the opportunity to decide if they want to go out or not,” Gonzalez said. “It’s important to know that drinking isn’t the only option.”

Mijana Mazur | FOR THE POST

Students work on a needle felting project as a part of Marti & Stewie Craft Night on Wednesday, April 25, 2018.

William Seiple, a rising sophomore studying pre-medicine, goes to Strouds Run State Park in his free time with his teammates on the men’s crew team.

“We like to go to Strouds and row, hike, play basketball or play ultimate frisbee,” Seiple said.

Seiple believes not drinking allows people to make better judgement calls, as well as lead a healthier lifestyle. He also believes underage students shouldn’t partake in drinking at all.

Jeffrey Davis, a rising senior studying engineering technology and management, goes to Ping Recreation Center to either work out or play basketball when he’s not busy with class.

“When I came in as a freshman, I didn’t drink at all so I found other things to do to keep myself occupied,” Davis said.

Davis also enjoys simply hanging out with friends instead of going to bars Uptown. Along with hanging out with friends, he goes to sporting events on campus and goes to other university-sponsored events.

If he were to give any advice to incoming freshmen, Davis would advise them not to fall into peer pressure.

“You see (drinking) around you, and you can make the choice if you want to and you don’t have to,” Davis said.

Development by: Megan Knapp / Digital Production Editor

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.