10 Athens Places to Visit

05.31.18

Top 10 places to visit during your first month in Athens

Taylor Johnston / For The Post

Being a freshman is overwhelming at times. There are so many first experiences to have and sometimes you might not know where to start. Here are seven places to visit if you’re looking to create new memories or just experience what Athens has to offer during your first month as a Bobcat:

Rilee Lockhart | ILLUSTRATION

1. Bong Hill

Grab your roommate or some new friends on your floor and start the trek to Bong Hill. Even though it’s a bit of a hike, you won’t regret the view of Ohio University’s campus and the city of Athens.

2. Union Street Diner

Dine in, grab breakfast for dinner or share a basket of cheese fries with some friends at Union Street Diner, 70 W. Union St.

3. Beads and Things

Create a true Athens keepsake at Beads and Things, 8 N. Shafer St., which carries beads from all over the world. Learn how to make jewelry or other beaded items with this hands-on experience. Items can be made into an original gift to give your friends or family back home.

4. Attend a show at The Union

Love live music? Then The Union Bar and Grill, 18 W. Union St., is for you. Bring a friend or go alone to meet others who share a love for music. New shows are added every week, so you’re likely to find a new band or artist to enjoy.

5. The Ridges

By now, you’ve probably heard that The Ridges, Athens’ abandoned asylum, is haunted. Think what you want, but it’s worth checking out. The Kennedy Museum of Art is also located there.

6. Bagel Street Deli

If you’re down to try some staple Athens cuisine, then Bagel Street Deli, 27 S. Court St., is your place. With a menu of bagelwiches to choose from, you’re sure to find a favorite.

7. Rollerbowl Lanes

Looking for something to do on weekday or weekend night? Rollerbowl Lanes, 28 Palmer St., has a bowling special every day of the week. Bring along a new friend or two and bond over who can knock down the most pins.

8. Larry's Dawg House

Venture off campus to Larry’s Dawg House, 410 W Union St., to grab a quick bite to eat or reward yourself with ice cream after a long stressful week.

9. The Athena Cinema

Sit back and relax with some popcorn at The Athena Cinema, 20 S. Court St. If you’re looking to see a cult-classic like Pulp Fiction or check out something new, then the cinema is a perfect option.

10. South Beach Volleyball Courts

If you’re looking to meet some new friends, head over to the volleyball courts on South Green in front of Nelson Dining Hall. Bring a volleyball and you’re sure to find a team to join or play against.

Development by: Megan Knapp / Digital Production Editor

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.