TAYLOR JOHNSTON

Program on the Rise

05.25.17

Soccer: A talented and experienced team looks to take its game to the next level this season

Jimmy Farmer / For The Postr

The Bobcats’ 2016 record was not what they expected.

Ohio went 5-12-1 (3-8 in the Mid-American Conference) and missed the MAC tournament for the third straight season.

Best Places to Watch Sports

Blake Nissen | FILE

Allie Curry shoots for the goal in Ohio’s game against Toldeo on October 8th, 2016.

Despite the low number of wins, last season did show the Bobcats have a talented roster that can compete at a high level. Of Ohio’s 12 losses, nine were by just one goal and six came in overtime.

The consistent play of Ohio’s three goalkeepers kept the team in every game. Taylor Smith, Erin Beurket and Vanessa Cordoba each received playing time in goal for Ohio, and each played well, as three goals were the most Ohio gave up in a single game. Beurket received the majority of playing time in 2016, playing in 12 games, making 63 saves and picking up Ohio’s two shutouts. All three keepers will be back in 2017.

The Bobcats were only shut out four times in 2016, thanks to the team’s goal-scoring ability, which saw 12 different players score.

That offensive attack is poised to return in 2017, as 11 of the 12 players that scored in 2016 will return to the team, including Bryce Hueber and Alivia Milesky, who tied for the team lead with four goals each. The Bobcats will also return nine of the top 10 point leaders, including Hueber and Milesky, who led the team with 11 points.

Sydney Leckie will look to continue her success in 2017. In her freshman season, Leckie scored two goals and amassed eight points.

Ohio lost five players to graduation, including Alexis Milesky, who was a constant force, appearing in 74 games over her four-year career. She tallied more than 40 points and scored 17 goals. Her class was the first one head coach Aaron Rodgers recruited and was very experienced.

Despite losing five experienced players, Rodgers will bring in eight new players in 2017. Combined with the chemistry the roster already has, the Bobcats will have the talent and the team relationship needed to take the next step.

The only thing left for Ohio’s talented roster to do is to win those close games, which could lead Rodgers’ squad back to the MAC tournament for the first time since 2013.

Back to The Orientation Guide

Development by: Taylor Johnston / Digital Production Editor

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.