TAYLOR JOHNSTON

People to Know

05.25.17

From OU’s president to the Athens mayor, a who’s who guide for students

Megan Henry / News Editor

As new Ohio University students settle into their residence hall rooms, it is important that they are able to identify OU administrators and Athens officials as they walk around campus and Uptown.

Here is a list of the 10 people OU students need to know.

Duane Nellis

Duane Nellis

Twitter: @OHIOPrezOffice
Office: Cutler Hall 108

Duane Nellis is OU’s 21st president, and his day first day as OU president will be June 12. His initial annual salary at OU will be $475,000.
Previously, he served as the university honors professor at Texas Tech University where his salary was $250,000.
He has served as the president of two universities, the University of Idaho from 2009 to 2013 and Texas Tech from June 2013 to January 2016. His salary during his last year as Texas Tech’s president was $444,251.
Nellis worked for about 22 years at Kansas State University as an administrator and professor, and he served as a dean at West Virginia University from 1997 to 2004.
He earned his doctorate degree in geography from Oregon State University in 1980, his master’s in geography from Oregon State in 1977 and his bachelor’s in earth sciences and geography from Montana State University in 1976. Nellis was born in Spokane, Washington.
Quote: “It truly is a tremendous honor to be the 21st president of Ohio University,” Nellis said in February. “Ruthie (Nellis, Duane’s wife) and I are so excited to be associated with the Bobcat family, to be part of Ohio University, a very distinguished university with a very rich history.”

Jason Pina

Jason Pina

Twitter: @jbpina
Office: Cutler Hall 212

2017-18 will be Jason Pina’s second academic year at OU. He serves as the vice president for Student Affairs and earned a salary of $245,000 during the 2016-17 academic year.
In addition to leading the Division of Student Affairs, he oversees student resources and services.
Before coming to OU, Pina worked as the vice president for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management at Bridgewater State University in Massachusetts.
Quote: “I think (Benjamin Mays) is a great example of the work we do in the line of student affairs,” Pina said in March 2016.

Jenny Hall-Jones

Jenny Hall-Jones

Twitter: @JennyHallJones
Office: Baker Center 345

Jenny Hall-Jones has spent her entire career at OU and serves as the dean of students, a role she has served in since 2013. As dean of students, she oversees the administrative operation of several Student Affairs departments, including the Career and Leadership Development Center and the Campus Involvement Center. She earned a salary of $140,021 during the 2016-17 academic year. She received her undergraduate, master’s and doctorate degrees from OU.
Quote: “You are Bobcats no matter where you are. You are ambassadors for the Bobcat family no matter where you are,” Hall-Jones said in August 2015.

Pam Benoit

Pam Benoit

Office: Cutler Hall 210

Pam Benoit is OU’s executive vice president and provost, a position she has served in since 2009. It is her job as executive vice president and provost to report to the president and oversee academic programs, university budget planning and research. Additionally, she oversees OU’s vice presidents and provosts. She was in the running to be OU’s 21st president and was one of four finalist before she withdrew her name from the presidential search.   She earned $306,000 during the 2016-17 academic year. Previously, she was a faculty member at Bowling Green State University and an administrator at the University of Missouri.
Quote: “We have a unique niche at Ohio University,” Benoit said in January. “Because the kind of students we attract are high-quality students … and we’re also attractive to students who have access issues, who have high need.”

Student Senate

Landen Lama

Twitter: @landenlama
Office: Student Senate Office Baker 305

Landen Lama is the Student Senate president. The Green Light ticket swept the April elections. Previously, he served as the Student Senate chief of staff. Lama is a rising senior studying political science.
Quote: “All of our platform points actively fight for an increased student voice on all issues on campus,” Lama said in April. “We want to make sure students are at the planning table for anything being discussed that would pertain to them.”

Steve Patterson

Steve Patterson

Twitter: @MayorPatterson
Office: Athens City Building, 8 E. Washington St.

Steve Patterson is the mayor of Athens. Previously, he served as a member of Athens City Council and a psychology professor at OU.
Quote: “Although my political career has been fairly short, it has been the best four years of public service out of my 23 years serving in the U.S. military,” Patterson said in December 2015.

Chris Knisley

Chris Knisley

Chris Knisely has served as the president of Athens City Council since January 2015. She was first appointed to council in 2008 and has been the chair of both the Transportation and the Finance and Personnel Committees. She also previously worked as the director of grant development at OU’s Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine. Athens City Council, the legislative power of the city, meets every Monday at 7 p.m. in the council chambers on the third floor of the Athens City Building.
Quote: “Graffiti and trash: Those are everyday issues that affect what the community looks like to the people who live here and the people that come to visit…the community needs to be in good shape,” Knisely said in September 2014.

Tom Pyle

Tom Pyle

Office: Athens Police Department, 11 N. College St.

Tom Pyle is the chief of police at the Athens Police Department. APD oversees the Halloween block party, fest season and crime in the City of Athens.
Quote: “We want to reach out to the community to make sure they know that everyone has a voice with us and that we are fostering amicable relationships,” Pyle said in June 2015.

Andrew Powers

Andrew Powers

Office: Ohio University Police Department, 135 Scott Quadrangle

Andrew Powers is the OU police chief. Powers oversees the staff of OUPD, which monitors crime on OU’s campus. During the 2016-17 academic year, he earned $135,397.
Quote: “We are doing more visible things like enhanced bag-checks and the use of the bomb-(sniffing) dogs,” Powers said in April 2014. “We’re also staffing (events) differently from what we have in the past, and that has increased the demands for our officers as well.”

Rodney Smith

Rodney Smith

Office: Athens County Sheriff's Office, 13 W. Washington St.

Rodney Smith is the Athens County sheriff. The Athens County Sheriff's Office takes care of crimes throughout the county.
Quote: “I will work very hard everyday to make Athens County a safer place,” Smith said in April 2014.

Back to The Orientation Guide

Development by: Taylor Johnston / Digital Production Editor