Headshot of Abby Miller, Editor-In-Chief of The Post

From the Editor's Desk

May 27, 2021

Making the most of your student orientation

By Abby Miller | Editor-In-Chief

W hether you’re firing up your computer or stepping onto the bricks of Athens, welcome to Bobcat Student Orientation. Orientation marks the beginning of some of the best four years of your life, so soak in every moment you can.

Admittedly, none of us are quite where we thought we’d be right now. With smaller orientation groups and a limit of one guest per incoming student, many of those at BSO might be reading this column online as opposed to in print. Trying to get excited about the college transition may be difficult when you’re not even on campus, or when BSO doesn’t look quite like you thought it would. However, there are ways to prepare and make the most of the college transition despite our current circumstances — and I encourage you to try and make the most of it.

My own BSO experience feels like a lifetime ago, but what I do remember is the welcoming atmosphere. As an out-of-state student, BSO was my second time in Athens. Nonetheless, I left feeling more secure than ever in the place that would become my home away from home. The faculty and orientation leaders you meet during BSO will immediately make you feel like a Bobcat and supported in so many ways. So, ask those burning questions (and yes, I guarantee everyone else will probably be relieved when you ask about your DARS). The people here at OU will help you grow in any facet of life you could ask for, so take advantage of it.

Even more than that, I met fellow incoming students who, even today, continue to impact me. The Post’s very own managing editor, Bre Offenberger, was in my orientation group. Don’t be afraid or embarrassed to ask for someone’s number or social media handle to keep in touch and reconnect once the school year begins. The transition to freshman year is equal parts scary and exciting, and going into the year with some more familiar faces never hurts.

This Orientation Guide also serves as a resource for you. In your hands (or on your screen) are countless articles, listicles and more to give you all you need to know about your new home. From prominent buildings to tips for your first in-person college courses, this tab is designed for incoming Bobcats. To stay in the know about all things Athens and OU throughout the year, follow us on Twitter at @The Post and at @thepostathens on Instagram.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous about BSO as an incoming freshman. But, it’s just the beginning of the wild, wonderful journey we call college. While BSO is not being delivered the way any of us would have imagined a couple years ago, take it all in. This is just a sample of the journey that is a few short months away from you.

Abby Miller is a senior studying journalism and political science at Ohio University and the editor-in-chief of The Post. Have questions? Email Abby at am166317@ohio.edu or tweet her @abblawrence.

AUTHOR: Abby Miller
EDITOR: Mikayla Rochelle
COPY EDITOR: Anna Garnai
WEB DEVELOPMENT: Anastasia Carter