Marcus Pavilonis

Pride Throughout The Year

10/4/2018

Ohio University’s LGBT Center hosts upcoming events throughout the semester

Keri Johnson / For The Post

The LGBT Center hosts dozens of events throughout the year. Here’s what’s planned for the rest of 2018.

National Coming Out Day

10 a.m. on Oct. 11. The celebration of being out and proud will be held on the fourth floor of the Baker University Center. The event will include selfie opportunities to form a collage that will be featured in the center.
Admission: Free

descutner

Amelia Green | FOR THE POST

A collage located in the lobby of the LGBT Center.

Coming-Out Monologues

7 p.m. on Oct. 11. The event is a coming-out take on The Vagina Monologues. People are to share monologues and original pieces of music, poetry and art.
Admission: Free

International Pronoun Day

10 a.m. on Oct. 19 on the fourth floor of the Baker University Center. Similar to National Coming Out Day, International Pronoun Day will be a celebration and exercise in pride with photo-sharing opportunities.
Admission: Free

Dine-n-Discuss LGBTness Then and Now

Noon on Oct. 19. The Dine-n-Discuss is in honor of the 20th anniversary of the LGBT center and includes a free lunch. The event also has a discussion of the history of Ohio University’s LGBT center, including past coordinators of the center.
Admission: Free

Happy Homocoming Drag Extravagaynza!

8 p.m. on Oct. 19 in Baker University Center. The drag show coincides with Homecoming week and celebrates drag in Athens. Alumni are set to return and perform. Donations are encouraged fundraiser for LGBT emergency fund.
Admission: Free

LGBT History Month Speaker Stephanie Skora

Oct. 31. Stephanie Skora is a trans woman, lesbian and Jewish activist whose work focuses on Palestinian solidarity and fighting for human rights. When and where to be determined.
Admission: Free

descutner

Amelia Green | FOR THE POST

Lobby of the LGBT center on Sept. 25, 2018.

Screening of The Voiceless

7 p.m. on Nov. 1 at The Athena Cinema, 20 S. Court St., The Voiceless is a film featuring the stories of five male sexual assault survivors. Following the film, there will be a discussion.
Admission: Free

Interfaith Inqueeries: Transgender Identities and Religion

Noon on Nov. 8 in the LGBT Center. A panel discussion about transgender identity and its relationship with religion.
Admission: Free

Rainbow Dance

9:30 p.m on Nov. 10 at Casa Nueva, 6 W State St., The LGBT-themed dance will feature DJ Logan Savage. Proceeds will go to Southeastern Ohio Rainbow Alliance.
Admission: $5

National Trans Day of Remembrance and Resistance Vigil

8 p.m. on Nov. 15 at Galbreath Chapel. The vigil will be in honor of trans lives lost and the strength of the trans community looking forward.
Admission: Free

World AIDs Day Shades Ball

7 p.m. on Nov. 30. The annual event started three years ago with a goal of raising awareness about AIDS and ball culture. Location to be determined.
Admission: Free

To stay updated and find even more events, visit the center in Baker 354 or like it on Facebook.

Development by: Megan Knapp / Digital Production Editor

Special Projects

This story is part of a series of specially designed stories that represents some of the best journalism The Post has to offer. Check out the rest of the special projects here.