Kelsey Boeing

How the Bobcats Can Ground the Falcons

10/18/2018

Football: What to know about Bowling Green

Pete Nakos / Asst. Sports Editor

Ohio returns home to the friendly confines of Peden Stadium for Homecoming. It’s a much- needed trip home after the first half of the season saw the Bobcats play on the road for four of the first six weeks, including a 1-1 start to Mid-American Conference play.

Bowling Green (1-6, 0-3) comes to Athens after a tumultuous week. On Sunday afternoon, the Falcons announced that they had parted ways with coach Mike Jinks. Defensive coordinator Carl Pelini will serve as acting head coach until they’re able to hire a new one.

All-time series: Bowling Green leads 40-27-2

Last time they played: In one of Nathan Rourke’s best games as a Bobcat, Ohio defeated Bowling Green 43-30 at Doyt Perry Stadium on Oct. 15, 2017. Rourke finished the game with 143 yards and three touchdowns, including a 75-yard touchdown run in the second half to put Ohio on top for good. In total Ohio scored 27 second half points.

descutner

Blake Nissen | PHOTO EDITOR

Trent Smart sacking Bowling Green's QB.

Bowling Green report: With the sudden coaching change for Bowling Green, questions arise. Will Pelini run the same offense? Will he run the defense differently without a superior shutting him down with some opinions?

All signs show that it will be the status quo for the Falcons with a new face as head coach. Pelini has coached at Ohio before and is known for his defensive mind. If anything changes Saturday, it will be the defense, not the offense.

The Falcons’ most recent MAC game was a 42-35 loss to Western Michigan, which included a 21-7 blown halftime lead.

How Ohio beats Bowling Green: On paper, the Falcons are outmatched. With one of the top offenses in the MAC, the Bobcats have found success running the ball. Bowling Green ranks last in the conference in rush defense and 11th in total defense.

Saturday’s game will be determined by Ohio’s success of shutting down Bowling Green’s passing game, which averages 278.9 yards per game. The Bobcats have struggled to shut down big plays, and it’ll be crucial for them to not allow that Saturday.

Number to know: 6-7

Historically, Ohio coach Frank Solich has struggled against the Falcons. Just in the past two years, has he beat Bowling Green. The last time the two teams met at Peden Stadium was Homecoming 2016, when the Bobcats won 30-24 and broke a four game losing streak to the Falcons.

Player to watch: Jarret Doege, quarterback, No. 2

A sophomore for the Falcons, Doege has been the stabilizer for them this season. Through seven games, he’s thrown 18 touchdowns with a 62.5 completion percentage. He played in games last season, too, for Bowling Green, which has paid off in his growth between year one and year two.

Development by: Megan Knapp / Digital Production Editor